cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete files without my permission?

Can't delete files without my permission?

New member | Level 2

Hello, my name is Mauricio. I'm a science teacher at one of Los Angeles' high schools, and I've been usong Dropbox for many years now to communicate with my students and store course information. 

Some of my current students too my AP Biology class last year, and this year they are taking AP Environmental Science. W used Dropbox last year, and I decided to continue using Dropbox this year. Now some of my students inform me  that they are running out of storage space in their accounts. I have told them to delete the material from last year to free up space, but they tell me that when they try to delete old files a pop up shows up teling them they need my permission to delete files. Not sure what to do? Please help!

1 Reply 1

Re: Removing files

Dropboxer

Hi @Mauricio Alons0, thanks for posting on the Community!

It's possible that the students are trying to delete the files in the shared folder, which won't be possible if they're not editors.

They can remove the shared folder from their account using these steps instead, which will free up the quota on their account.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?