cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete or remove a folder

Can't delete or remove a folder

dalden
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am trying to remove a folder that exists on my PC from Dropbox.  I am the owner and no one else is shared.  When I am in dropbox.com I can select the folder but there is no Delete function available in the ellipsis ... options. Also there is no option to remove from Dropbox. If I press the Delete button my PC a box pops up with a delete option.  When I click  Delete in the box a message says Deleting 1 item.  A few seconds later a message pops up saying Unable to delete 1 item.  Does anyone know why can't I delete or remove this folder from Dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You have enabled Computer Backup on your machine - follow this to disable it

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @dalden, thanks for contacting us!

What's the name of this folder you're trying to delete?

Does it have a special folder icon on the Dropbox site, like a building or Windows logo?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dalden
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The folder names are PC then under this folder are Downloads, Desktop, Documents.  I was setting up a new PC. I installed Dropbox and some how these folders got added to Dropbox.  I did not add the folders to Dropbox.  I don't want to delete the folders from the PC I just want to remove them from Dropbox.

dalden
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The PC folder has a windows icon.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You have enabled Computer Backup on your machine - follow this to disable it

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dalden
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This resolved the issue. I was able to delete the folders from Dropbox.  Thanks for your assistance.

-_-_
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the Dropbox app on an Android phone, and it tells me that my dropbox is almost full. There are (apparently) four shared folders. (Home screen, Shared tab has four folders. )

(A) Two of the folders on the "Shared" screen are recognizable as my files, but I would never be sharing them on Dropbox, and I do not want to leave them as "Shared." They can be deleted, but Dropbox warns me, "If you continue, you won't be able to access this folder anymore." I do not want to lose access to my files if they are still shared on Dropbox.

(B) One folder is definitely not my personal files, and I am sure that I never shared them. Neither this folder, nor the files, can be deleted.

(C) The fourth folder has files that were on my computer two years ago, but which I would never have shared on Dropbox. There are 69 people sharing these files.

One Help page says the problem is that I have Backup activated, but I cannot find that feature to deactivate it, and I do not believe that this is the problem.

BTW, I never use Dropbox because this chaos cannot be fixed. I just want to make a clean sweep, but still have access to Dropbox files that one organization has shared.

Leonidas1994
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

Some time ago, a friend shared a folder with me. After I downloaded the files in my backup hard drive, I tried to delete the folder. But, I just could't delete them. To delete it I must give admin permision and I always receive the following message :

Leonidas1994_1-1656874418074.png

Although it is in greek, I am sure you can understand the meaning. It is saying that it is not allowed to access this folder. That I need permission to do this action (delete) and that permission is needed from "S-1-...." to make changes in this folder... I don't know what to do and my friend can't find a way to help me...

Thank you in advance

Leonidas Tzortzakis

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Leonidas1994, happy Monday! 

What permissions do you have in the folder? Can you check? 

I'd also suggest using selective sync to remove the folder off of the hard drive, if that's what you wish to achieve.

Keep me posted. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Leonidas1994
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,

I don't understand how the name of the folder is going to help but anyway it is "Labyrinth". I just noticed the this folder is missed from my laptop and has remained on the desktop... Probably somehow I managed to delete it from the one... I don't know. On my desktop it remains and it has that dropbox sign like it is still uploading... When I click on delete it asks for permission from the administrator...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Leonidas1994 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?