Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't download my own files anymore from a new folder I created

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Good afternoon,
Does anybody know what to do if I can't download my own files? I uploaded them a few days ago and apparently Dropbox deleted the original ones from my computer (at least I didn't delete them and they are also not in the paper trash although I haven't emptied it in a few weeks). I can see the files in the Dropbox folder online (only on my computer, not on my phone though) and when I click on them, it says that the files couldn't be found on my computer. Pretty strange and I need those files now. Does anybody have a tip for me? Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Can't download my own files anymore from a new folder I created

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Maren12, thanks for joining the Community!

I’d like to help out a bit to try to locate your files. Were they originally in your local Dropbox folder and were then deleted from there only? Are you using selective sync by any chance on your machine?

If not, are you able to select the files on the site and download them directly?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Hi Jay,
Thanks for responding. No, I had the files on my desktop and dropped them into the new folder. They were gone from my laptop desktop after that. The new folder does not have the green arrow like the others though... I don't think that I use any kind of sync function... It's just weird I can't access the files, I can only see that they're there... But not open them. I tried copying them back to my desktop but that didn't work either.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I’m getting a little confused here, you said you ‘dropped them into the new folder’? Was this a folder on your desktop, or on the website?

Is the new folder located inside the Dropbox folder? Could you forward a screenshot of where you see this folder on your machine, while hiding the names of the folders? Thanks!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?