cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't download sketchup skp files successfully in Chromeon iPad or iPhone

Can't download sketchup skp files successfully in Chromeon iPad or iPhone

johnwmcc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I copy .skp files to my Dropbox folder on my main computer (Mac OS X Monterey 12.2.1)

That syncs them to Dropbox “in the cloud”.

They show in a browser, with their proper file size - eg 6.7MB for one of my recent files. Other recent files don't work either.

On both my iPhone 12 and iPad Mini, when I view them in Chrome browser on dropbox.com and download to my phone or iPad, the downloaded file is only 833 bytes, and when I try to open it in SU Viewer (on phone), or SU beta app on iPad I get the message “Oh Deer” (sic) “this doesn’t appear to be a valid SketchUp file”.

Other file types (eg PDFs or image files) download and open properly on both iOS devices.

Any ideas on how to get this to work properly? Or even what’s causing this issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnwmcc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

"Since you've installed the mobile app, have you tried exporting those files to the SketchUp app?"

No, but I'll give that a go tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @johnwmcc, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Since the size of the file seems to differ, the download must have been corrupted somehow. That's why you're unable to preview the file in question.

Could you please let me know if you get any different results after clearing your browser's cache or another browser?

Thanks a bunch, John!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

johnwmcc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'll try that on phone and iPad.

I have no difficulty with the same file on my computer. It downloads, and automatically opens in SU 2021.

I've had the same issue with at least half a dozen .skp files - all open correctly on my main iMac computer, but fail repeatedly and in the same way (download is only 833 bytes) on phone and iPad. 

I've cleared the cache on iPad, closed and reopened Chrome, and tried the download again.  Same result. Download says it's going to be 6.7MB, but it's still only 833 bytes.

Will cold reboot iPad and try again., 

Still no success. Tried several other recent and not so recent .skp files ranging in size from <400K up to >10MB. All, when downloaded via Chrome, come onto the iPad at 833 bytes and aren't valid Sketchup files.

Tried installing the Dropbox App. That will download the files to the iPad, but although I can see the downloaded file in the app, when I try 'Show in folder', double tapping on it does nothing, and I can find no way of opening it in the SU iPad app. 

Still stuck on a valid way to share these .skp files between computer and iPad or phone. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the additional details, John - much appreciated. 

Since you've installed the mobile app, have you tried exporting those files to the SketchUp app?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

johnwmcc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

"Since you've installed the mobile app, have you tried exporting those files to the SketchUp app?"

No, but I'll give that a go tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

johnwmcc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That works, once I found the Export option in the Dropbox App under Share.

But I still don't understand why SU files won't download via a browser. Any thoughts on that?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to hear that worked for you, John,

As to why your SkethcUp files won't download via a web browser, I'm not sure at all - you could try contacting Google (since you're using Chrome) to ask for further assistance on that.

Have a lovely week ahead and let me know if you have any other questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    johnwmcc Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?