cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't figure out how to sync my folder setup

Can't figure out how to sync my folder setup

New member | Level 2

I have an external harddrive with my Dropbox folder on it, and I have a large folder stored locally on my comptuer. I need this folder to stay local, so I can't move it to my external HDD into my Dropbox folder. I also don't have space to store my Dropbox folder locally. But I want to sync these two folders from two different devices.

So, I can't have two Dropbox folders, and I can't backup a device if my Dropbox folder isn't on it. What's my most efficient option here? Family plan? Team plan? Two accounts? Appreciate any input!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't figure out how to sync my folder setup

Dropboxer

The setup sounds right, the limitation would be that you wouldn't be able to sync both simultaneously. You can sign into the same account though on both profiles.

If you say user A is your default user, I would suggest having the Dropbox folder you work on most often there.

To work on folder B, you can then switch to user B. Before exiting the user, or closing down the computer, I would suggest just checking the sync status of the app to ensure it's "up to date".

If this would be too much of a hassle for your workflow (perhaps you switch between folders often), then perhaps the better option would be to use a third party app to sync the other folder to Dropbox.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dropboxer

Hello there @keep55, thanks for posting!

The subscription for your account wouldn't matter much for this situation here, but I'm assuming that you're currently using a paid plan if you have a lot of data syncing. Is that right?

Just to make sure we're on the same page here though, you mentioned wanting to sync these two folders from two devices.

Do you have the Dropbox folder on the external drive connected to the same device that you want to also sync this large folder from?

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hey Daphne, thanks for the reply. I do pay for 2TB of storage - that's the Dropbox folder on the external drive. And the external drive is plugged into to the laptop with the other folder I want to backup. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming @keep55!

Since the folders are on the same computer, the best option I could suggest here would be to use a second user profile on your computer.

This will allow you to setup the desktop app on the second profile, so that you can apply different sync settings.

Eg. You can use selective sync to not sync the folders you have syncing on the external drive, and have the Dropbox folder in another location other than the external drive folder.

Since you need to keep the folder on your computer, and the folders on your external drive separate due to space issues, this would be the only way to have the app syncing both.

Otherwise, I would have to suggest having a look into using a third party app to sync the folder on your computer to Dropbox.

While I can't suggest any apps, you can do a quick web search, or even have a look around the Community for some recommendations.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

Sounds promising - need to clarify as I'm not sure I totally understand.

So I'm currently syncing folder A on my comptuer user A.

I should create computer user B, and then sync folder B on it?

Can I do this from the same Dropbox account and can they be syncing symultaniously (how can both users be logged in)? I'm unfamiliar with how Dropbox handles multiple users - multiple Dropbox folders?

Dropboxer

The setup sounds right, the limitation would be that you wouldn't be able to sync both simultaneously. You can sign into the same account though on both profiles.

If you say user A is your default user, I would suggest having the Dropbox folder you work on most often there.

To work on folder B, you can then switch to user B. Before exiting the user, or closing down the computer, I would suggest just checking the sync status of the app to ensure it's "up to date".

If this would be too much of a hassle for your workflow (perhaps you switch between folders often), then perhaps the better option would be to use a third party app to sync the other folder to Dropbox.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?