cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find the DELETE option under the '...' menu in Images

Can't find the DELETE option under the '...' menu in Images

AshRaj
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi 

The DELETE option is not available in the '...' menu in my Photos folder on Dropbox web (using a Mac). It is also not available in the menu that appears on the right of the screen when the an image selection box is ticked - as said on https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/delete-files. How can something mentioned on your Help page not be available in the UI?

How can I multiple select images and delete them at a go? - as this is the most important feature after uploading images so as to get rid of the useless files. 

Ash

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 12.44.17.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-04 at 12.42.46.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-04 at 12.50.40.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You cannot delete from the 'Photos' menu I'm afraid - that is simply a section of the site which shows all images on your account. You need to go to the actual folder they are in and delete from there - then the options you are reading about in the help article will appear. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You cannot delete from the 'Photos' menu I'm afraid - that is simply a section of the site which shows all images on your account. You need to go to the actual folder they are in and delete from there - then the options you are reading about in the help article will appear. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ButtonsK
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem, I'm on a mac too if that makes a difference.  I am in a folder- camera uploads.  I have THOUSANDS of photos I am trying to clean up. It takes forever to even locate the ones I want to delete.  The first time I tried it, there were options to delete, but now it's gone.  I don't understand why such an incredibly basic feature isn't obvious, let alone requiring me to ask on a help board.  It's even more frustrating because I was able to delete some, and then as I scrolled through, selecting more, the option is gone again.  I can delete them individually but that's a huge waste of time when I have thousands to delete.

Dropbox's slowness makes this whole process even more frustrating.

I'm attaching a screenshot - if anyone can see the dots where I find the options, please point it out - because I am certainly not seeing them.  I was trying to filter to 2020-10, but that wasn't possible so I had to pull all of 2020.

Thanks very much

.Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 1.00.14 AM.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @ButtonsK, thanks for commenting on this thread!

After selecting the photos you want to delete, try scrolling all the way up and you'll see a few options like 'copy' and 'move'.

Next to those, there should be a '...' (ellipsis) button with a few more options, 'delete' being one of them. 

If you don't see any of this, try again from a different browser or from an incognito/private browsing window. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ButtonsK
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Hannah - I need to scroll through hundreds of pictures, which alone is painfully slow on dropbox (I don't know why dropbox is so slow on my computer, it doesn't matter which folder I'm in either), so that's not practical & I'm not sure that it would make difference anyway.

I did figure this out on my own though and maybe this can help someone else with the same question:

After deleting several selected images for the first time in a session, I do see the ellipsis (without scrolling) and the option to delete, so I click on that.  The deleting process is ridiculously slow, and by the time it was finished I immediately selected more (I don't want to select too many at once because accidentally clicking at a certain spot on the selection box causes everything to be deselected, I wasted a huge amount of time with this).  What I missed though, was after the first batch deleted, I have to click on "do you want to permanently delete these?", and go through the long wait a second time.  I think that second step may only happen when I'm filtering the photos and then deleting, which also may be why I haven't noticed this problem before.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the update on this and I hope you've had a great weekend!

I do understand what you mean and I will definitely pass your feedback along to our team.

However, I'm happy to see that you were able to figure this out and were able to delete your files. 

If there's anything else you'd like to ask, make sure to let us know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    ButtonsK New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?