Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't modify or delete files on my Dropbox

Explorer | Level 4

When a file is being synced to Dropbox, I can't edit it, move it, or even delete it. This most commonly happens when editing files in Photoshop. 2020-01-22 16_14_25-Adobe Photoshop.png

This is an example of an error message I get when trying to move files out of Dropbox:

2020-01-22 16_18_41-Folder In Use.png

Disabling Dropbox sync sometimes resolves these problems. However, turning off Dropbox entirely during work means I can't use Dropbox's version history feature. Toggling sync during work is a huge pain in the neck. How can I stop Dropbox from interrupting my work? If not, are there any other cloud sync services with file version history that don't prevent you from editing files?

15 Replies 15
Highlighted

Re: Can't modify or delete files on my Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @wavedash, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you. 

As a first step, just for troubleshooting purposes, could you also try temporarily disabling any security software or antivirus that you may have running, as they may be preventing the desktop app from syncing correctly? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I don't use any suck software, other than whatever Windows 10 has by default, and I have that disabled. I still have the same issue.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for trying that out for me, @wavedash

The error message suggests that the file is being used by an app, which may also explain why you're unable to move a whole folder.

For this reason, could you also try temporarily closing other third party apps and see if the issue is resolved?

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Closing third-party programs doesn't resolve the issue. Using Process Explorer, I can see that the only process that is locking the file is Dropbox.exe. Even when a file is open in Photoshop, not even Photoshop is locking it, just Dropbox.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, @wavedash

Hmm.  Let's try something different: could you try quitting the desktop app and see if the error persists? To do this:

1. Click on the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock. 
  2. Go to your avatar icon that's on the top right corner of the menu. 
  3. Select Quit Dropbox.

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I don't get the error when I exit out of Dropbox.

If it helps, here's how I test for the problem:

1. Open a PSD file in Photoshop (at least ~5 MB, so the sync isn't instant)

2. Make an edit

3. Save (I never have any problems with this save)

4. While the file is syncing, make another edit

5. While the file is syncing, save (this save fails if Dropbox is running)

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that out for me, @wavedash.

It sounds like the behavior you're experiencing happens while the desktop app tries to complete syncing. 

Could you confirm if the errors appear while all the files are synced and the desktop app reads that it's up to date? You can check that by hovering over your Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock. 

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 4

No, this is specifically a problem while a file is being synced. After it's done syncing, the file can usually be modified (sometimes there are hitches after syncing, but I think it's more the fault of Photoshop for not checking to see if the file is still locked).

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Since the error doesn't appear once the file is completely synced, I'd recommend just giving it time before saving any new changes with the third party app. 

However, if you experience this once the file syncs or if it takes a long time to complete, don't hesitate to get back to me, and I'd be more than happy to have another look into this for you. 

Keep me posted on any updates, @wavedash.

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?