Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t open MS office files from dropbox local folder (App)

Mike1978 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Dropbox community- 

I’m having problem opening MS Office files from my Dropbox local folder. Every time I try to open that any MS files (word, excel, PPT etc.) it stuck the folder and it is “not responding”

Few things you should know before answering: 

1. My local folder (app) is fully sync 
  2. Files path is shorter than 200 characters 
  3. That problem happened only with MS Office files. Everything works with PDF, JPEG etc.
  4. The problem is not only to open existing file but also when I try to copy and past files to that folder
  5. It started two week ago. Until then everything works well
  6. I sent an inquiry to Dropbox support team and didn’t heard back. Every few days they are asking for more info but no solution

I would appreciate any help with that.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Re: Can’t open MS office files from dropbox local folder (App)

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

HI @Mike1978; thanks for posting your first question on our Community and welcome aboard!

Since you've already done some troubleshooting on this, I'd suggest re-installing our desktop app and your Office apps as well on the affected device as they seem to be acting up. 

Let me know if this helps improve the situation at all and we'll take it from there if needed. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Mike1978 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thx Walter,  before i re-installing both programs I have few questions:

1. Did you ever had this problem before?
  2. Is Re-installing is the only solution ? I have 300GB and it probably will take hours to sync it again
  3. If you think it is a problem in that specific device, is that say that if I will install it on another device I should not have that problem? I guess if that is a device problem it will be smart to try on another device before removing both programs
  4. It is a 6 month old device- how can I make sure it will not happen again and make me re-install the apps again?

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there Mike; apologis for the tardy reply. Are you still having issues with this? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?