cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open any of my files! Please help

Can't open any of my files! Please help

Abby Kennedy
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I have a Mac desktop, and suddenly I can't open any of my files in dropbox.  For the past few days, it looked like dropbox was syncing constantly, with the little icon on the bottom.  So I restarted my computer today and it's not looking like it's still synching, but I still can't open any of my files. I can see them, but when I click on the file, nothing happens.  Please help as I save many important files on dropbox that I need to access for my business.

7 Replies 7

Re: Can't open any of my files! Please help

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Abby Kennedy, let's see what we can do here. 

Are you trying to open your files from your Finder or the desktop app?

Do you get the same behavior from both? 

If you could send me a screenshot of what you see what you click on the Dropbox icon that's on your menu bar, that would be super helpful. 

Give me a shout whenever you have a moment to check this out, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Abby Kennedy
Explorer | Level 3

Lusil,

Thank you for your reply.

When I attempt to open files from the desktop app (in the top right corner of my computer) after clicking on the folder icon, absolutely nothing happens.  I don't even get an error message.  I just click on the file, and nothing.  Also, the sync icon has been on the desktop app permanently for the next few days.

I don't know what you mean by opening in finder, but when I click on the paper icon in the dropbox app, I can preview and then download files to my computer, but I cannot edit them right in the app.

Thank you,

Abby

Daphne
Dropboxer
A screenshot of what you're seeing when you click the Dropbox icon would be very helpful @Abby Kennedy.

Since the app is showing it's syncing, does the sync status of the app (which you can see when you click the Dropbox icon) appear to be progressing at all? 

Or is it showing the same number of files as syncing?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ladzebe
New member | Level 2

Same problem...

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for joining us here @ladzebe!

When you have the time, please have a look at the questions here from myself and Lusil, and let me know what you find regarding those. Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

furlongmc
Explorer | Level 4

I am experiencing the same issue.  I cannot open my files from the icon in the top right bar.  I can go to finder and open them there, but I have them better organized by accessing Dropbox from the icon in the upper right corner (with stared files, etc). I have rebooted the app, but still cannot open the files.  I do get a preview of the file.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @furlongmc, thanks for joining the discussion here and sorry to hear about this. 

Can you please walk me through the exact steps you take to do this and -if possible- send us a screenshot of how it looks like on your end so that we can advise further? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?