cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open excel files on new pc

Can't open excel files on new pc

jm24
Explorer | Level 3

I can't open my Dropbox excel files on my new PC. I've download the desktop app but when I want to open an Excel file my PC keeps trying to open it as an Adobe PDF. When I try to nominate the app to open the file Windows does not give me the option to open as an Excel document even though I have an active Microsoft Office subscription.

5 Replies 5

Re: Can't open excel files on new pc

Mark
Super User II

What happens if you open Excel first and then go File -> Open?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

jm24
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry I missed your reply.

No change. When I open my drop box folder the only Windows wants to open what are usually Excel files as pdfs in Adobe?

Josh

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to jump in here, but are you able to view those files normally on website @jm24

While at it, which version of Excel have you installed on your computer? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jm24
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

I've been trying to open files using the Dropbox app. But following your reply I tried opening the excel document via the Dropbox website and it lets me open it as an online Excel document.

I assume that's because I'm using Excel through my Microsoft Office 365 subscription?

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @jm24, I'll jump in here as well, if that's alright.

Have you tried restarting your computer, to see if that helps?

Also, try quitting and relaunching the Dropbox application and let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    jm24 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?