cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't play mov. file after downloading from Dropbox

Can't play mov. file after downloading from Dropbox

rvtnine
New member | Level 2

I am attempting to download a video file shared to me on dropbox, its in mov. format. However when it finished downloading, i can't open the file. I'm using Chrome .

My macbook pro displays 

The document “video.mov” could not be opened.

The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player.

The video is playable within the dropbox website and I have also tried to use different browser to download (safari couldnt even download)

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @rvtnine; welcome to the Dropbox Community!

To directly cut to the chase, it sounds like your media player (in your case QuickTime) doesn't have all the necessary codecs to preview to file. Can you try another 3rd party app or program to try to preview the same file? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Lifestylehack
Explorer | Level 3

I have a similar problem. I was able to download an 8GB .MOV file, which plays fine in the Dropbox browser, but halfway through the  (30min) video the audio and visual freezes (using Quicktime) or crashes completely (VLC).  Can anyone help with this?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Lifestylehack, thanks for joining the discussion!

Do you have another third party app to try and open the file in there to see if there's any difference in the behavior?

Otherwise, can you try downloading the file from Dropbox again through an incognito window to see if that helps? You can also try using another web browser to download the file.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Lifestylehack
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for that, Daphne. I kept trying (using an ethernet connection) and eventually got two files that were workable. I suspect our broadband network in Australia is getting hammered by all the people working from home, maybe that's why I got a "network failed" message. If I have the trouble again I'll follow your advice, though. Thanks again, Peter

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lifestylehack Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?