cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't restore Desktop to default location to get out of Dropbox folder

Can't restore Desktop to default location to get out of Dropbox folder

btzretired
Explorer | Level 3

I tried the following cause I had the same issue as @User134679but it would not reset

To do this, please navigate to the Desktop folder in File Explorer (not the folder in Dropbox) and then:

1. Right click the Desktop folder
  2. Choose "Properties"
  3. Go to the "Locations" tab
  4. Choose to reset to default location.

This will reset the folder location to ensure that it's in the correct location. Once you've done this, can you let me know if you have the same issue when moving the desktop files from Dropbox to the actual Desktop?

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @btzretired; welcome to our Community!

So you uninstalled the desktop app from your computer before disabling the computer backup feature and you'd like to restore your OS folders to their original locations now; am I on the right track?

In that case, could you reboot your computer and try doing this again?

If you get any error along the way, please send us a screenshot so we can advise further.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

btzretired
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter   thanks for your response.  its a long story as to how this all happened but to make it short

During my first install of dropbox i did not uncheck the boxes Desktop Documents and Downloads

it began syncing those files and exceeded the 2 gigabyte capacity

To solve that issue I upgraded to the Business plan Trial period which allowed the full syncing of files to complete

I UNinstalled DB  did some research about what had happened and then reinstalled DB 

I did UNcheck those 3 boxes and thought problem solved

what happened was the first install was renamed DropBox Old so those files were still syncing, NOT GOOD

So i cancelled the Business Plan and uninstalled DB again

DropBox Old still continued to sync my files so when i deleted a file in DB it deleted off my computer too

So I created new folders, copied all my files to them, then deleted everything out of DB

I'm sort of back to where I started before DropBox, and my files do not sync anymore.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

btzretired Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?