cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't restore my files

Can't restore my files

Viktoriia
Explorer | Level 4

Hello everyone
Yesterday I installed the Dropbox application on my computer and made a backup to dropbox, then I saw a strange folder with an apple image, without thinking I deleted it from dropbox. Then I saw that all the files of my MacBook were transferred to dropbox and I restored the folder with the apple and made a backup back to my MacBook, but all these operations lost important files. I see folders with files at https://www.dropbox.com/events but when I try to open them, it tells me that they have been deleted. Please help me return important files.

3 Replies 3

Re: Can't restore my files

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi there @Viktoriia; thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature upon installing the desktop app on your computer.

Could you have a look at this Help Center article and let me know if that's the case indeed?

In regards to restoring your files, have you tried to do it through your deleted files page?

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Viktoriia
Explorer | Level 4

It looks like I first made a backup and transferred all the files to the dropbox and then deleted the backup from the dropbox. And when I pressed restore, not all files were recovered from the deleted files. And now I see folders with files in events, but when I try to restore them, I get empty folders with no files. I have lost all my video memories in 5 years. Thanks for the links to the articles and attempts to help, but unfortunately nothing has worked out so far. Maybe I should try buying a paid subscription? Is there just not enough space in the free version?

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Viktoriia 

Does the folders or the events tab show items and things inside them? The system wont let you restore if it takes you over quota, but, it tells you this - it wouldnt just stop. 

However, the flip side is (sorry...) that if you were over quota while uploading from a computer then it just stops syncing. So it does warn you via the desktop and emails etc. but it wont have taken any more files to the server once you are at quota. That means paying wont get them back as, to Dropbox at least, they dont and never have existed. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?