cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't see shared folder and files

Helpful | Level 6

Someone is sharing a folder with me, but it does not show up in my Dropbox folder, or Dropbox online unless I click the link in the email notifying me that the file has been shared. Only then can I see it, and it is on the web only ... not in my desktop Dropbox folder as a file or folder.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can't see shared folder and files

Helpful | Level 6

We could never get a new folder that she was trying to share to show up in my Dropbox. so we used a previously shared folder. But when she saved the excel file into the folder using Save As from within Excel, it saved a bunch of web/html/css/js related files. So she instead dragged the Excel file into the dropbox folder and it showed up correctly. Never could get the new folder to show up though, which we had a problem with in the past and no one with Dropbox was able to resolve it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @mwallace, is there any chance that your colleague has merely shared the file with you? When someone gives you view-only permissions to a file, then you’re just invited to view that file from within your account, however this resides within your colleague’s Dropbox. 

However, if that pertains to a shared folder, then I’m wondering if you’ve added that to your account online. Can you see it under the “Folders you can add to your Dropbox” perchance? Is it possible that you have a copy of the files in question thus viewing the copy instead of the file you’re seeking? 

Please let me know your findings here & once you get back in touch with me, we can discuss it in more detail. Until we talk again, have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

We could never get a new folder that she was trying to share to show up in my Dropbox. so we used a previously shared folder. But when she saved the excel file into the folder using Save As from within Excel, it saved a bunch of web/html/css/js related files. So she instead dragged the Excel file into the dropbox folder and it showed up correctly. Never could get the new folder to show up though, which we had a problem with in the past and no one with Dropbox was able to resolve it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Happy that you got this squared away on your end & thanks a lot for taking a bit of your time to keep the Community updated on your Solution @mwallace. While I have now accepted your last post as the Best Answer, your description makes me think that you were trying to save a web page accidentally instead of a file; could this be the culprit by any chance?

I’m also wondering if you were unable to see the folder on your end as the recipient or as the creator. If you could clarify this detail for me, I’d happily further advise on how you could improve that in the future. Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I could not see the file as a recipient ... not creator. I can't say for sure how the creator was trying to create or save the file.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I see @mwallace & thanks a lot for keeping in touch with me on that! Now, I’m going to include a Quick Guide that should come handy should you stumble across a similar behavior in the future, as you could ask your colleagues to refer to this one if they're having an issue saving content in Dropbox on their end.

Having said that, kindly note that you can have a look at this video should you have any “How to” sharing-related inquiries, however that’s an open invite to ping us back here in case you’d need further advice; it'll be a pleasure to work with you again. Happy Dropboxing & take care in the meantime! 🤓

Jane

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?