cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't select iMac desktop "Pictures" folder to be backed up or synced.

Can't select iMac desktop "Pictures" folder to be backed up or synced.

LTDTM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello, when I started my 3 TB DropBox business trial last month I was under the impression I would be able to back up all my photos (over 1 TB) from my iMac desktop computer (not from my iPhone, which only holds a fraction of my photos). I have searched endlessly, please help.

System:

iMac desktop/OS Mojave 10.14.6.

My photos library is located:

Macintosh HD > users > home (my name) > Pictures (folder) > Photos Library.

I also have other folders of photos that are not in Mac photos in there. See snapshot below:

Screen Snapshot.png

What I am doing:

I am going to DropBox on the top bar of my computer > to my icon > preferences > backups > manage backup.

Photos/Pictures is not a folder option. The only options are: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, and Movies.

I also tried going to my icon > preferences > sync > choose folders, and I get the same options I just mentioned above.

I appreciate any and all assistance.

Thank you kindly.

LTDTM

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

LTDTM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Sanchez

I contacted DropBox Chat Support today and was informed that DropBox doesn't have the ability right now to backup the "Photos Library" on a Mac desktop. (This is NOT in regards to backing photos up taken on an iPhone).

The only solution is to manually drag the photos out of the Mac Photos application and into a folder and then put that folder on one of the 3 locations that DropBox can backup to (Desktop, Document, or Downloads).

This means there is no automatic and consistent backup of photos, they would have to be manually added every time you take new photos. Therefore, I am now paying Apple iCloud for photo storage space as per DropBox's recommendation.

I urge DropBox to add this feature. Why do you allow the music folder (iTunes) and the movies folder (iMovies) to backup, but not the pictures folder (iPhoto/Photos)? Perplexing indeed.

To be clear for others. DropBox for Mac allows only these folders to be backed up:
Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Music
Movies

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey, @LTDTM, thanks for reaching out. 

Your post is very nicely structured and detailed! I’d like to check one more thing before we proceed. What version of the Dropbox desktop app are you running? You can hover your mouse pointer over our icon in your system tray, to show our app’s version.

Let me know, and we’ll go from there! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

LTDTM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Sanchez Thank you. I am running 119.4.1772 of DropBox.

LTDTM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Sanchez iTunes version 12.9.5.5

LTDTM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Sanchez

I contacted DropBox Chat Support today and was informed that DropBox doesn't have the ability right now to backup the "Photos Library" on a Mac desktop. (This is NOT in regards to backing photos up taken on an iPhone).

The only solution is to manually drag the photos out of the Mac Photos application and into a folder and then put that folder on one of the 3 locations that DropBox can backup to (Desktop, Document, or Downloads).

This means there is no automatic and consistent backup of photos, they would have to be manually added every time you take new photos. Therefore, I am now paying Apple iCloud for photo storage space as per DropBox's recommendation.

I urge DropBox to add this feature. Why do you allow the music folder (iTunes) and the movies folder (iMovies) to backup, but not the pictures folder (iPhoto/Photos)? Perplexing indeed.

To be clear for others. DropBox for Mac allows only these folders to be backed up:
Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Music
Movies

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @LTDTM, thanks for keeping us in the loop and for taking the time to share your thoughts on this with us. 

I just wanted to let you know that you can check this thread out, where other users have expressed their interest in having more folder options to add to computer backup. 

If you have any other questions for us, don't hesitate to give us another shout. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LTDTM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Lusil  Thank you.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Anytime, @LTDTM!

Fistbump rabbit and wizard.gif

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?