cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't sync any folders

Can't sync any folders

CharlotteD
Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone - I'm just installing Dropbox for the first time and I can't select any folders to sync. When I go to the "selective sync" screen there are no folders to select. I created a folder in my root directory called Dropbox that I want to be the main directory, but it's not there. Or anything else. Does anyone know what might be causing it? I have an HP laptop with Windows 10 Home. Thanks

3 Replies 3

Re: Can't sync any folders

Mark
Super User II

I think you are mixed up over how Dropbox works @CharlotteD . Dropbox doesnt let you choose what folders to sync - it only syncs files and folders that reside within the Dropbox folder. So anything you want to sync MUST be inside of Dropbox to sync - therefore you'll need to move the folders or directories in to that one.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

CharlotteD
Explorer | Level 3

It was only syncing the "Downloads" directory... and once I deleted that it won't sync anything. If you go into "Selective Syncing" I think it should show you a liting of all your directories to choose from.

Mark
Super User II

Selective Sync will only show the folders that you have previously told the machine not to sync. It wont show anything in that unless you have used it before. 

When you say it isnt syncing anything what is happening? What does it say if you mouse over the Dropbox icon on your status bar?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?