cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upload files from Dropbox to Google or anywhere else; all grayed out

Can't upload files from Dropbox to Google or anywhere else; all grayed out

JBP2
New member | Level 2

Have been trying to upload files from my longstanding dropbox to a series of Google docs or Gmail, but I cannot. 

I can open the folder, but the files are all grayed out, and I cannot select and upload. 

This is true for Google Docs, and gmail, uniformly.

Some of the files can be uploaded to Word, but not all; many of them, too, are grayed out. There's no pattern that I can see; some files stored on the same day are accessible in Word, but others  on the same day are not. I can take a screenshot of the file, and upload from Desktop, but that's a PITA.

I have the $11.99 2TB plan, and there's plenty of space available. It just won't let me use my files.

Email support has been awful; he keeps telling me it's Google's fault, and I need to change permissions, which is clearly not true.  

Further wrinkle: The accessibility prompt keeps showing up. I thought maybe that was the problem. So I went to turn on accessibility in the "system preferences." But that failed, and now I can't get rid of the accessibility prompt. "Don't show this to me again" has no effect.

I'm regretting the $11.99 a month. 

Macbook Air M1, 2020, MacOs Big Sur 11.2.3, Chrome latest build

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 11.24.24 AM.png

4 Replies 4

Re: Can't upload files from Dropbox to Google or anywhere else; all grayed out

Yuikol
Collaborator | Level 8

Can you produce more screen shots of the issue you're running into? [Block any personal information please].

You mentioned gmail and google docs but are you talking about/tried Google Drive. That's Google's program for cloud storage.

By "Some of the files can be uploaded to Word" do you mean they're converted to a .dox file? Word is a processing program, it doesn't store files.

I have a windows 10 machine and I was able to upload a file from dropbox to gdrive.

JBP2
New member | Level 2

When I went to take a screenshot, I noticed that the "options" tab on the upload panel gave me a choice. It turned out that "image files" was selected by default. When I changed to "all files," the grayed out ones are magically visible. This was on a Google Doc. 

Wow, I thought, solved!!

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 2.48.12 PM.png

I thought it was solved, because the grayed-out files can actually be clicked. But I clicked and tried to upload, and got this error.

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 2.47.13 PM.png

Yuikol
Collaborator | Level 8

Forgive me, I'm not a dropbox representative, just a dude.

I guess I'm still unsure/confused what you are trying to do. It seems like you are trying to upload files into a google doc? Google docs is just a word processor for writing papers. If you are trying to store files to another cloud service you need to upload files via google drive.

JBP2
New member | Level 2

Hey there! So you probably know that you can use Google Docs both as a word processor and also as a document creator that includes inserted files -- like those files from Dropbox that I am trying to insert! 

The Dropbox files are not accessible to Google Docs, Gmail, Microsoft Word, and other places on the Web where you would want to upload images stored on your Dropbox. 

It's like this; I uploaded the images to Dropbox.  I am paying to store them there. But when I want to use them, I have to go through some extra step. That's not useful -- especially since I am paying Dropbox to keep them and let me use them when I want to (without extra steps). thanks cheers jeanne

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JBP2 New member | Level 2
    Yuikol Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?