Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can two computers have different Smart Sync settings?

musicspirit
Explorer | Level 4

I have been using Smartsync on my main Macbook Pro [A]  - and found very useful the facility for keeping Files on Dropbox only and saving space on the computer. 

However, I recently rebooted my old Macbook Pro [B]  ( which also has my Dropbox account active on it)  - and did some work on it, and then found that it had uploaded that work to my Dropbox and onto my main current Macbook Pro.

So the key  question is:  can you have a large file  relegated to the Dropbox Cloud on one computer - but active working and downloaded on to [B] but still keep it up in the Dropbox Cloud on [A]

If this is possible how would you do this? 

I would suggest that that it  is essential to have a choice on which computer the File is active because one computer may have loads of space [ my old computer B]  but the other [ newer computer A] has  very little  space. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Smartsync on Two Computers

Super User II
Super User II

Smart Sync (and Selective Sync) settings are unique to each computer. You can have a file marked as Online-only on one computer, while it's marked as Local on another.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Super User II
Super User II

Smart Sync (and Selective Sync) settings are unique to each computer. You can have a file marked as Online-only on one computer, while it's marked as Local on another.

View solution in original post

musicspirit
Explorer | Level 4

Many thanks - most helpful answer!

musicspirit
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your reply - just one supplementary question:

Is it possible to have a default setting in which I upload to Dropbox from Computer B - be able then to see it from Computer A, but for it not to automatically Sync ( and download to Computer A)?

eg Am working on Computer B - upload a huge file to Dropbox

Go to Computer A - see it arrive there as online by default  giving me the choice when I am computer A to download it? 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Hi @musicspirit 

I'm afraid there isnt. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @musicspirit, actually, it is possible to have the Smart Sync settings to ‘online-only’ as the default on Computer A.

This setting can be changed on the desktop app

This means that any new files added on the Dropbox site, or synced via Computer B, would appear as online-only on Computer A.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Adam G.18 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Most helpful thanks Jay!  I am sorted now

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear it, @Adam G.18! Enjoy the remainder of the week. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?