cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can you help me sort my files?

Explorer | Level 3

Hello

I have a question: I have my album (13 songs) uploaded in a file and I want to order them in the way of the album, not by name or date. I have to send the folder with the songs in the right order to a possible Label.

In my folder it worked, but when I send the link to someone the files are ordered automatically by name and not the way I put them in order. Do you have any idea if I can make it work? Thank you so much!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can you help me sort my files?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there, @SalomeMoana, welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

If you send a Shared Link to the folder that contains your songs, the person that opens the link will see the files in alphabetical (actually alphanumeric) order.

So what you can do is to Rename your files, by putting a number at the very beginning of the name. 

For example, if the file you want to show at the top of the list is named “My song.mp3”, change it to “01 My song.mp3”. 

You can try this, and then test it by copying the Shared Link, and pasting it into an incognito/private browser window, to see how it will look. 

I hope this helps. Please let me know if there’s something else I can assist with. 

Cheers!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there, @SalomeMoana, welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

If you send a Shared Link to the folder that contains your songs, the person that opens the link will see the files in alphabetical (actually alphanumeric) order.

So what you can do is to Rename your files, by putting a number at the very beginning of the name. 

For example, if the file you want to show at the top of the list is named “My song.mp3”, change it to “01 My song.mp3”. 

You can try this, and then test it by copying the Shared Link, and pasting it into an incognito/private browser window, to see how it will look. 

I hope this helps. Please let me know if there’s something else I can assist with. 

Cheers!

Sanchez

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey, @SalomeMoana, the above steps are so you can do this when looking at your files in your account online, through a web browser!

Thanks

Sanchez

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you so much @Sanchez! That will work

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey, I’m glad to hear that, @SalomeMoana!

Thanks for letting me know. If there’s anything else that my team or I can help out with, please just let us know. 

Have a great weekend 🙂

Sanchez

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?