cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Share Folder - Error Message Says Part of Shared Folder, but It is Not!

Cannot Share Folder - Error Message Says Part of Shared Folder, but It is Not!

Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox is interrupting my business and I am looking into other options since I have wasted a lot of time and frustration on this issue.

Namely, I cannot share a folder since an error message says it is part of a shared folder, but all of the related folders show me as the only member.

Any ideas please since this is hurting my business and personal life (the latter since I spent a good 30-60 + minutes on this, when I had other responsibilities to which to tend)?   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cannot Share Folder - Error Message Says Part of Shared Folder, but It is Not!

Dropboxer

Thanks for your update here @PFSLarry!

It seems that the folder was still "shared". Even if the recipients are removed from the folder, leaving you as the only member, the folder needs to be unshared to return to being just a normal folder.

Hope this info helps for the future!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: Cannot Share Folder - Error Message Says Part of Shared Folder, but It is Not!

Dropboxer

Hey @PFSLarry, thanks for reaching out to us on the Dropbox Community. 

You are right, a shared folder will have more than one user being a folder to access it, but you can also recognize it from its icon. 

For this reason, could you check if any of the folders in the hierarchy have an icon that looks like a folder with two people in the center?Shared folders.png

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil,

Thank you very much for your reply and trying to help.

Here is the status:

-The "master" folder does show multiple people icons, but the Members column says "Only you"

- The subfolders do not show multiple people icons and says "Only you"

- The files contained therein all look to say "Only you" as well

Could the issue be caused by copying a folder or file from a previously shared folder, even though those folders say "Only you" as well, with that master still showing multiple people icons but also saying "only you" since I removed all shared participants?

At least one of the folders shows the link icon and not sure how to remedy that, if the issue is related to that.

Thank you for anything else you might be able to offer and I do hope this helps.

Larry 

Explorer | Level 4

Lusil,

As a quick "P.S.", I just moved all of the contents including subfolders into a new folder and all was fine.   It seems that once a folder is shared, it "taints" the contents even if the shared participants are later removed?

Anyway, thank you again very much for trying to help and no need to labor much on an ensuing reply.

Larry

Dropboxer

Thanks for your update here @PFSLarry!

It seems that the folder was still "shared". Even if the recipients are removed from the folder, leaving you as the only member, the folder needs to be unshared to return to being just a normal folder.

Hope this info helps for the future!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

As I recall, I very much looked for a way to unshare, but only saw a means of removing members .... however, I have since clicked on your "unshare" link and will try to familiarize myself when next in my box.   Usually, I am pretty adept at moving around apps, but also very much apologize for any blatant "user error" on my part and appreciate your input and guidance.

Warm Regards,

Larry   

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?