cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot access password protected file

Cannot access password protected file

shlomi17
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have an Excel file that is password protected. When I log in to the account from the computer and try to open the file, I click on it but there is no option or access to type the password to open the file. This only happens on the account from the computer and not on the account from the mobile phone (where I have the option to type in the file password). I click on the blue "Open" button and then click on the link to Excel - and it shows me an error message and does not give access to typing the password of the file. As a result, I currently do not have any access to the file from my computer. How can I solve this ??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shlomi17
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Mark 

Thanks a lot!

Although I searched well - I did not find the button  'Open in Desktop App'...

I would love to know what the link to find this button is - for the future.

Any way, I clicked on the "Download" button and it did open the panel for me to enter my password for the file.
Thank you very much for your help!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @shlomi17, let's see what we can find on this together. 

Just to make sure that I have a better visual understanding of your concern, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal information) of what you're seeing? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

shlomi17
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dear Lusil,

Thanks for answering.

Attached is a link to the page I see, immediately after I click the "Open" button of the encrypted Excel file. As mentioned, I have no option to type in my password and open the file I encrypted. I would be very grateful if you could help me!

Thanks in advance

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/k1gil2mw5tqquqvgu19od/.xls?cloud_editor=excel&dl=0&rlkey=qymnlylqsc7o... 

shlomi17
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dear @Lusil,

Thanks for answering.

Attached is a link to the page I see, immediately after I click the "Open" button of the encrypted Excel file. As mentioned, I have no option to type in my password and open the file I encrypted. I would be very grateful if you could help me!

Thanks in advance

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/k1gil2mw5tqquqvgu19od/.xls?cloud_editor=excel&dl=0&rlkey=qymnlylqsc7o...

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Thats a restriction of Office online itself, not Dropbox. 

You will need to open the file in Excel on a computer as the error says rather than via the web.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

shlomi17
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Mark 

Thank you Mark.

Can you be more specific?
What does it mean to open Excel from your computer?
When I click on the Excel file on the Dropbox site - I get the error message.
Can you explain exactly what I need to do to open the encrypted file from the site itself?

Thank you!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Tap the button that says 'Open in Desktop App' and that will open it on your machine if Dropbox is installed.

If not go to the Dropbox page where the file is, dont click on the name of the file but the 'bar' next to it. Then click on 'Download' 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

shlomi17
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Mark 

Thanks a lot!

Although I searched well - I did not find the button  'Open in Desktop App'...

I would love to know what the link to find this button is - for the future.

Any way, I clicked on the "Download" button and it did open the panel for me to enter my password for the file.
Thank you very much for your help!

Need more support?