cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot create a non-business account folder

Cannot create a non-business account folder

AGFrench
New member | Level 2

For some reason, when I try to create a new folder it automatically ties it to an older folder I have in dropbox that I no longer use. How do I create a new folder that is unaffiliated with that old folder? Additionally, Dropbox forces me to sign up for a business account each time I try to create a folder. I don't need a business account, I simply need to create a folder to share it with two people a few times a year. Dropbox keeps thinking the folder I am creating falls in the business category for some reason.

I ended up just uploading the files and sharing a link but not creating a folder and that did the trick, however, now it says that link and its contents will expire in 7 days unless I pay for a business account. 

Is there any way to not have this be a business account, create a file folder, upload my info to the folder and share it without it expiring in 7 days without paying $12.50 a month for something I will only use a few times a year?

Thank you,

Amber

3 Replies 3

Re: Cannot create a non-business account folder

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @AGFrench, thanks for joining the Community!

In order to understand more, could you let me know what plan you see on this page on your account?

Could you clarify what you mean by 'an older folder ... I no longer use'?

A screenshot showing the error message you're getting would help greatly.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AGFrench
New member | Level 2

Sure, here you go. See how it says McK Big head underneath it. That is what happens to every file I create now.It is somehow tied to that old folder (that folder was created in like May or June of 2020 and I no longer need it). 

AGFrench_0-1617379462226.png

Also, when I click into my new folder (Julian French...) and try to upload files, I get this pop up message:

AGFrench_1-1617379527739.png

In answer to your other question, this is what the bar says at the top. It says my business trial has ended. This is because last time I created a folder the same thing happened where it said I needed a business membership. Since I was in such a pinch, I signed up for the trial just to I could get on with it and collect my files. Now I cannot seem to get rid of this business membership issue.

AGFrench_2-1617379643425.png

Hope this helps to explain what is going on.

Thanks!

Amber

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the images, it looks like you're on a Dropbox Business trial that has expired, so it is now in a locked state.

You can disband the team and return to a personal account using these steps.

Once back on a personal plan, you'll be able to create folders as normal.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    AGFrench New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?