cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot delete My PC folder (no backup feature turned on) - help please!

Cannot delete My PC folder (no backup feature turned on) - help please!

Kiwidude
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My Dad has done something to his dropbox account which has got his system into quite a state, and I haven't been able to figure out exactly what he did or how to fix it. 

A few days ago suddenly what has happened is that somehow he now has a "My PC (MachineName)" folder appear in his online dropbox folders. And it is trying to sync an enormous amount of data off his PC - so he immediately paused the sync feature. Every time he tries to resume no matter what we do it continues on trying to sync up data from his computer.

• He does not have the "backup my computer" feature turned on that I have seen mentioned in another post, at least not according to the client app.
  • I have tried using the "Selective sync" feature of the PC client app to exclude the My PC folder. However while you can uncheck it and click Apply/OK, it immediately appears back in the list again when you reopen the dialog or try to sync.
  • Choosing "Do not sync this folder" also gets ignored in the client app for "My PC" - the moment we enable syncing again, it starts trying to sync up more data within that folder tree. 
  • It is impossible to delete the My PC folder entry in the web client, nor it's immediate subfolders. It is only child files/folders of those subfolders (i.e. children within: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos) that appear to be "deletable" in the web client. Given it is still trying to "sync" every time we try to connect I am reluctant to choose the delete option anywhere at this point.
  • There is no "My PC" folder entry within his client PC dropbox folder (i.e. no folder locally to delete) - Dropbox is trying to sync his actual computer data folders that are outside of the client dropbox folders area. I have looked with hidden files turned on, still can only see his other "regular" dropbox folders he syncs with in there.
  • I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Dropbox client app, still the same problems.

Spent an hour remotely connected to his PC trying to figure this out and failed. Incredibly frustrated. He has no idea what he did (elderly and not a computer whiz) and me as a computer geek can't figure it out either, just concluding that Dropbox has some appalling user interface aspects to it in this scenario or is buggy as heck. 

How do we get some support to get this figured out? Dropbox is completely unusable in it's current state, he is very close to blowing his storage limit from all the garbage it is trying to push up and there seems to be no way to cancel whatever the heck it is it thinks it is trying to do???

15 Replies 15

Kiwidude
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Well after many more hours of remotely connecting and mucking around I think we finally got it sorted. I tried the restore default folder location stuff, had all sorts of "reaparse" errors and similar nonsense, finally got the Pictures, Documents etc folders all pointing back to where they were supposed to be.

However having done all of that there was still the "My PC" folder in the dropbox folders and on his account, that refused to go away, and trying to delete files out of it resulted in them being synced down from Dropbox again.

In the end in desperation having seen a suggestion from someone else I turned Backup "on", just so I could then turn it "off" after it got though the "settings" phase. And *finally* got the reassuring message we have been wanting of it saying that it would remove the files from Dropbox and they would only be available locally. And so then I could just delete the local My PC folder and at long last Dropbox is not trying to sync thousands and many GBs of files that my Dad never intentionally at least somehow had happening.

Had I not uninstalled/reinstalled the dropbox client, then possibly we would have had the "Manage" option available on the Backups tab. There is clearly an undesirable "feature" in this scenario that your devs may want to take a look at - as the client is clearly confused about whether backup is turned on or not - it wont let you disable it, but it behaves as if it is turned on.

Anyways thanks for all the attempted help, at least we got there in the end.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the update and feedback on this matter. 

If you require any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KarenK14408
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok, so the same thing happened to me. Only I uninstalled the dropbox app before trying any of this and so how I can get my PC off? This has really messed my computer up and things that were pointing to one location for other uses is now pointing elsewhere and different apps aren't working properly on my computer any more.

KarenK14408
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think I got the backups turned off, but My PC is still showing in Dropbox.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hello @KarenK14408, thanks for joining the discussion here and sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please clarify which option did you choose when you disabled the computer backup feature?

Did you choose to 'Keep content in folders on your PC' or 'Leave content in Dropbox'?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

KarenK14408
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I do not remember now. But I have solved my problem after uninstalling and re-installing dropbox and I think I went to my account features but and searching around I was finally able to delete all the folders I didn't want sync'd to dropbox including my PC folder. Now everything is working as it should, but for awhile there I was ready to tear my hair out since there were several programs that stopped functioning normally until I got those files removed from dropbox.

Need more support?