cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot delete dropbox folder

Cannot delete dropbox folder

Realjohntsio
Explorer | Level 3

So, I've been trying to uninstall dropbox COMPLETELY from my computer since it has messed up all my files. This is actually an account i just made to show you what i mean. So i deleted my account (by ging to settings>general>delete account) then restarted my pc, but everything about dropbox is still there. When i try to delete the main "Dropbox" folder from going to Users>(name)>Dropbox (which by the way only has 2 files in there which are basically just instructions) but when i try to delete the folder, it is preparing to delete EVERY SINGLE FILE AND FOLDER IN MY PC. Every single byte is about to get deleted. Please help, cause this is very frustrating and every time i try downloading something i have to specify a new location because it says there s no such folder with the name of the folders that EXISTED before i installed dropbox. (Oh and not to mention that it COMPLETELY ruined my desktop by putting EVERYTHING in order) PLEASE HELPPPPP

4 Replies 4

Re: Cannot delete dropbox folder

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Realjohntsio, thanks for posting here. 

When you uninstall the desktop app, the Dropbox folder becomes like any other folder on your computer. 

Could you also send me a screenshot showing that more than just the files in your Dropbox folder are trying to be deleted?

Give me a nudge whenever you have the chance to check this out. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Realjohntsio
Explorer | Level 3

Hi yes hello @Lusil. Here are the screenshots (the first one is the "Dropbox (Old)" folder) :

Realjohntsio_0-1614169542812.pngso yeah i cant really do anything about it because i dont wanna risk everything getting deleted and the reason it says 5.04 gb is not because i only have that much gigabytes worth of items but just because i dont wanna go any further than that cuz im scared. Please help meee. Also the 2 files in the Dropbox Old folder magically got deleted and it still says this 

Realjohntsio
Explorer | Level 3

Also i want dropbox COMPLETELY out of my computer, for example when i go into my download, desktop folders etc, i want it to say "C:\Users\E7400\Downloads", not "C:\Users\E7400\Dropbox (Old)\My PC (John Tsiopelakos)\Downloads". Can you help with this as well? @Lusil

Lusil
Dropboxer
Ah, it looks like you had computer backup enabled, which added computer folders (like your Downloads) to your Dropbox folder. 

In this case, could you first try changing the file path of the items in question to move them back to their original locations?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?