Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Cannot restore folder that was deleted only 5 days ago. I didn't delete the file.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

There is a folder which says it was deleted by myself only 5 days ago. (when I updated to smartsync) that I cannot restore. Before the restore completes, I get the error message: "There was a problem completing this request."

Any help appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Cannot restore folder that was deleted only 5 days ago. I didn't delete the file.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for letting me know, @matthamm!

I’ve sent you a ticket already so when you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Cannot restore folder that was deleted only 5 days ago. I didn't delete the file.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @matthamm, sorry to hear that.

As a first step, could you please provide me with the following information:
  • Is the folder you’re trying to restore a shared folder or a regular folder?
  • Have you tried restoring the folder from another browser or an incognito window by any chance? 
  • Have you also ensured that third party browser extensions are not enabled when you’re attempting to restore the folder?
  • Could you also try clearing the cache? Maybe that will do the trick. 
Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for your reply!

1. The folder used to be a shared folder, but was unshared some time ago.

2. Tried restoring it from a different browser (Firefox) and chrome incognito mode and get the same issue.

3. Firefox is a clean install, no third party extentions.

4. Using a different browser is the equivilent of clearing the cache I think.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for your swift reply, @matthamm!

Since you mention that it was a shared folder, could you confirm for me if you see it in your Sharing tab by any chance? 

If you do, try adding it back to your account from there. You can find more on this here

If you don’t, I can send you an email at the email address that’s connected to your Community profile so as to further investigate this with you. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil,

It does not appear in the sharing tab, actually it does not appear in the Deleted files tab either, it does show up as deleted folder on a search list.

Please send me an email to investigate further.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for letting me know, @matthamm!

I’ve sent you a ticket already so when you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

How did you resolve this situation? I am currently unable to restore a folders worth of files that I got a notification that I deleted but I didn't actually delete.  

I can only find the folder by going to deleted items and searching.  I get the same error as above when I try to restore.  

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Carrie

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The Files were unshared with me some time ago. Hence not being the owner i could not restore. The error message could have better detail tbh.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Carrie79

Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I just wanted to check back with you and see if you checked out @matthamm's post. Were you able to resolve your concern in the end or are you still having trouble? 

Let us know and we'd be more than happy to help. 

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?