cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot see changes

Highlighted

Cannot see changes

Explorer | Level 3

I shared folders and fileswith Team A comprising 6 members and was able to see all their changes and comments on a Word document but have suddenly been unable to do so, even though I can see their changes in the comments in the side bar. These 6 members all have editing rights. 

I continue to be able to do so with Team B comprising 2 members. 

I am using a Personal account. Please help. 

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Cannot see changes

Dropboxer

Hi @Eevon ALLong, thanks for messaging the Community!

Could you clarify what you see if there are no changes?

Do you see a document with old details on it, or nothing at all? Are the changes visible on the site, but not your machine? 

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Jay. 

What do you mean "visible on the site"?

So, when I open the Word document, the only changes visible are those of mine. When the others make changes, they do not appear in the document when I open it but their changes are logged as Comments in the side bar of the Dropbox app. That is, this side bar has the document logo, name, Open button, Share button, Send with..., Send for signature..., Send with..., a list of the members, then Comments. 

Hope that description helps with understanding the problem. Thanks for trying to help!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

When they comment on the Word doc via the Dropbox site, are they also editing the file? Comments aren't saved on the file itself, when it syncs to your machine, if this is what you're referring to.

Regarding the site, I meant if the file wasn't syncing to your computer, are the edits visible on the Dropbox site when you view your files?

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, they are editing the file. To complicate matters, I believe what has happened is that they can now only open the file using Word for Web. They used to be able to open the Word document and use functions such as Track Changes and Insert Comment

Under your direction, I accessed the files via the Dropbox site and the changes are visible there. But this is not what I want. 

What I think you are suggesting: Log in to Dropbox > Use Word for Web to collaborate [This is a two step process, but is terribly clunky.]

What I want is: Use MS Word > Upload file to Dropbox > Give people edit rights to the file > Be able to view their changes made on the file when I next open it via Dropbox. [This used to work, but not anymore.]

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the clarification @Eevon ALLong!

You should be able to use the local apps on your computer to edit and the app should sync any changes made by yourself or others to the file.

Since you're seeing the updated version on the website, but not your local file then perhaps there is an issue with syncing.

Can you let me know the current sync status of the app and the version of the app installed?

Thanks!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?