cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Cant stop dropbox from syncing 100k plus files

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been running Dropbox on my iMac for years.  All of a sudden, 100k files are trying to sync.  I don't know why as I hadn't changed anything.  I went into my prefrerences and unlinked all the folders to my computer except for one.  It is still doing in and I cannot get it to stop.  They all say they are invalid mac file folders and they are all empty.  I have no idea how to get this to stop or how to fix it.  Running OS Mojave 10.14.6.  Any ideas on how to fix would be greatly appreciated. 

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Cant stop dropbox from syncing 100k plus files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about this @NanciH

I cannot see account or device details via the Community, so I will have to ask a few questions. Based on your description, you have empty folders and they report to be "invalid mac file folders" and this, most likely, means you had Mac system folders symlinked to your Dropbox. 

1. Was this indeed your set upon this device?
  2. Can you let me know the name of one of these directories? 

If there was no other action, I understand that your files started resyncing, because an update went through that changed the way symlinks operate with Dropbox. 

Please take the time to read through this Help center article explaining how you can use symlinks with Dropbox, form now on. 

I strongly suggest to allow syncing complete. I understand that you had a large amount of files an syncing will take some time but selectively syncing the folders was a great move. Good job there! 

Note Check how you could speed up your Dropbox desktop app more. 

Keep me posted on your syncing progress and get back to me with any other questions. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?