cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certain files not synced on Linux

Certain files not synced on Linux

mauropfister
Explorer | Level 3

I am running Dropbox on a macOS and a Linux (Manjaro) computer. Recently, I noticed that certain files (namely images created with Photoshop CS6) do not sync onto the Linux computer. In the web interface and on the mac everything is fine. I am on the basic plan and still have around 25% of my storage space left, so this cannot be the issue. I also increased the number of watches files (fs.inotify.max_user_watches) to 100'000 which did not help. 

It seems like I am not the only one with this issue. This thread and this one mention exactly the same problem but both of them do not provide any solution. I would be very happy if Dropbox could provide some support for this issue!

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Re: Certain files not synced on Linux

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @mauropfister, thanks for joining our Community!

What's the sync status of the Dropbox app, as seen on your Dropbox icon in the system tray?

I'd also suggest taking a look at this article on syncing issues, which might have some useful info.

Let me know what you find.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Certain files not synced on Linux

mauropfister
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Hannah, thanks for the answer.

I finally figured out that Photoshop CS6 on macOS by default writes a resource fork to the files it saves. More recent versions of Photoshop do not have this behaviour. Apparently this resource fork is not supported by Dropbox (see here), hence the synchronisation issues. 

Using the xattr command as suggested in this stackoverflow answer I was able to remove the attribute created by PS CS6 and the files started syncing as expected. Moreover, there is a setting in PS CS6 that prevents the creation of the resource fork when saving a file. This should avoid any syncing issues down the road.

I hope this helps other people with the same problem. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mauropfister Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?