cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed my local Dropbox drive and now it's syncing 600+ GB!

Changed my local Dropbox drive and now it's syncing 600+ GB!

torrmundi
Explorer | Level 3

I upgraded my local storage adding a 😧 drive; I then rehomed the Dropbox folder to the 😧 drive.

This resulted in >600GB and more than 4000 files to re-sync, after I maxed out my last months cellular data plan (I live on a sailboat, no WiFi nearby).

I've turned sync off for some of my less important and larger folders - but they are still syncing.

What can I do to limit the amount of my cellular data usage?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Changed my local Dropbox drive and now it's syncing 600+ GB!

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the image. Ignoring a file or folder is different from using selective sync. 

The former would delete the file from the Dropbox site, and keep it on your computer. The latter would delete the local copy, but keep them on the Dropbox site.

Ignoring a file would still need to sync these changes to the site, so the file is deleted from the site. For larger folders, again this may take a little time for the files to sync.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @torrmundi, thanks for messaging today!

If there are a large number of files being moved, the Dropbox desktop application might need to re-index the folder and sync the files to ensure that they are up to date.

You can restrict the bandwidth speed in the desktop app preferences, however, there isn't a way to directly restrict the amount of data transferred via the app.

There might be other OS settings which can help in relation to this matter.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

torrmundi
Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

Thanks for the reply.

As you might guess, I'm not happy with my options. And the Dropbox App is very confusing!

- If I select a folder and right click, then select Don't Sync to Dropbox, there is NO indication anything changed.

- If I open Selective Sync (App>click on Icon>Preferences>Sync>Selective Sync), the folder I selected for Don't Sync is enabled for Sync.

- You don't say when or how re-indexing will occur. Can I force it? Right now, the list of files to sync isn't changing (online, sync paused).

The bandwidth limit is useful because everything else is fully automatic/broken.

I cannot believe how difficult and badly implemented the sync feature has become.

There should be a very strong warning in the user guide and the offline help about relocating the Dropbox folder, outlining the possible consequences.

Jay
Dropboxer
Could you clarify where you're seeing the option 'Don't sync to Dropbox' when you right click?

A screenshot of this would help greatly.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

torrmundi
Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

Open DB app, click on 3 dots (More) for a folder, select Don't sync to dropbox.com

torrmundi_0-1628170908011.png

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the image. Ignoring a file or folder is different from using selective sync. 

The former would delete the file from the Dropbox site, and keep it on your computer. The latter would delete the local copy, but keep them on the Dropbox site.

Ignoring a file would still need to sync these changes to the site, so the file is deleted from the site. For larger folders, again this may take a little time for the files to sync.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

torrmundi
Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

I believe there is a huge issue in showing status of file/folder syncing in Dropbox.

At this point, I have no idea what I’ve turned on/off for syncing to Dropbox - because the interface has NO sync status indications.

- if I remove a file/folder from online sync, it should show something like “online removal pending” until it completes.

- if I have smartsync on for a file/folder, that should be indicated, e.g green SS is smart synced, yellow SS is pending smart sync.

Dropbox is so “simplified” right now that it becomes non-informative. I literally cannot determine if things will sync or won’t sync. This is super, super frustrating, to the extent that I’m considering dropping Dropbox! I would literally welcome a better solution with a huge sigh of relief.

Jay
Dropboxer
If you've paused the Dropbox desktop application from syncing, then you'll have no sync icons in the desktop app or in Explorer, since it can't connect to the site to determine the file status. 

Once you resume syncing, you'll be able to see if the file is ignored, synced, syncing or with another status.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    torrmundi Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?