cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Changing "Permissions" of Shared Files folder?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I was surprised when a collegue told me that every time I update a file in the Shared Files folder, she is notified (because at one point in history, I had shared a file with her). I need to keep these documents in the Shared Files folder because I regularly share them with clients, but I would prefer that my clients NOT be notified every time I update!

Is there a way to disable this feature?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Changing "Permissions" of Shared Files folder?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey again @LadyJemima!

You can send them the links to the articles mentioned above as a note regarding notifications for shared content, but also for future reference in general.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I sum up to this question. I have searched in the desktop settings but I didn't find nothing.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @LadyJemima and @impreza233,

Notifications are set by each user depending on their preferences. This means that users can change it if it’s about receiving notifications through their email or being notified via the desktop app/mobile app

I hope this helped to some extent!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@LadyJemima wrote:

... I regularly share them with clients, but I would prefer that my clients NOT be notified every time I update!

Completely unrelated and just in case you're not aware, you should know that any member of a shared folder can see all other members as well. That means each client will be able to see your other clients as members of the folder.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

So, both of those links tell me how to turn off MY notifications, but don't give me any control over what my clients see or don't see (from my end). I'm assuming I would have to send them those links as instructions on how to turn off notifications from their own computers?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey again @LadyJemima!

You can send them the links to the articles mentioned above as a note regarding notifications for shared content, but also for future reference in general.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Lusil

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?