cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Checking Files' endlessly

'Checking Files' endlessly

Dirk-in-Hobart
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox has been stuck syncing for days. It gobbles CPU and memory.

When I look at the desktop app icon, it says 'Checking 59 files. Please hold while we make sure everything is up to date.' It's been doing this for days. I've restarted. Signed out and signed back in. I can't tell what it's stuck on.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: 'Checking Files' endlessly

Lori
Dropboxer

It seems you're following the steps on our website, not the desktop app @Dirk-in-Hobart.

Can you try this: 

• Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences.
  • Click the Account tab. Your linked account email will be displayed.
  • Next to your linked account, click Sign out

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @Dirk-in-Hobart, let's see what we can do here!

Can you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon (next to your date and time) and let me know the installed version of the app?

It would look something like: xxx.3.xxx or xxx.4.xxx.

Let me also ask if you're using a Mac, or a Windows device.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dirk-in-Hobart
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Lori. It's 121.4.4267.

I have looked in vain for any live-time means of seeing exactly *what* file its currently working on. Just on the off chance that the problem is a corrupted file and no Dropbox. But I haven't found a means to doing that. The up-arrow  reveals a list, but no clue as to the program's current task.

Lori
Dropboxer
Thanks for the info @Dirk-in-Hobart

Can I ask that you take a look into this Help Center article that provides an insight, and steps on how to fix syncing pain points.

Feel free to give me a shout, and let me know how this worked out for you.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Dirk-in-Hobart
Explorer | Level 3

I'd read that article already before I cried for help. I'm getting no error messages. It is merely endlessly 'Checking 59 files. Please hold while we make sure everything is up to date.'

I'm at my wit's end because there seems to be no way of checking under the bonnet to see what the app is *actually doing* and thus ascertaining what it's stuck on. This seems like a serious short-coming in program design. Granted, you don't want idiots mucking about in the code. But some better way of diagnosing exactly what the hold-up is would surely be most welcome.

Lori
Dropboxer

Thank you for clarifying you've tried those steps, and great job troubleshooting this @Dirk-in-Hobart

If you could send me a screenshot of the syncing message you see, that'd be amazing. 

Can you also clarify if you're on a Mac or a Windows device, please? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Dirk-in-Hobart
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Lori,

My laptop is running Windows 8.1 Enterprise. Screenshot below. My employer is supposedly going to supply me with a new laptop someday soon, but right now I'm stuck since Dropbox is not syncing the files betwen my desktop at work and the laptop. 

The laptop ran *all night* last night saying 'Checking files' but seemingly nothing happened. It's grabbing about 34% of memory to do this and the hard drive is constantly in use.

Dirk-in-Hobart_0-1620332433179.png

ailsa99
Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

Please ensure you have enough Dropbox storage space to store all the files.

1. Log in to your Dropbox account.

2. Tap your Dropbox avatar and select Settings.

3. Select the Plan tab, then verify the storage usage under the Personal Dropbox space section.

Dirk-in-Hobart
Explorer | Level 3

A mere 73 gig of 2 terrabytes. So I think it's not that.

Is it worth trying to reinstall the desktop app? Directions on how to do this (without horrible consequences)?

Lori
Dropboxer

Wishing you a great Friday @Dirk-in-Hobart!

Let's try something.

It's very important to follow the order of these steps.

• Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running
  • Click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray and then click your profile picture or initials 
  • Select 'Preferences'
  • Click on the 'Account' tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)
  • Hold down the 'alt+H' keys
  • Click on the 'Fix Hardlinks' button
  • You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones
  • Please wait about ten minutes to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If syncing remains stuck, please repeat steps 1→5, but at step 6, this time click on the “Fix Permissions” button. 

Let me know if this does the trick for you.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    Dirk-in-Hobart Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?