cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning DropBox off an old laptop need clarification

Cleaning DropBox off an old laptop need clarification

zkgustin
Explorer | Level 4

I have read through many of the posts here and I just want to clarify something.  I am cleaning off an old lalptop before recycling it.  I have uninstalled DropBox from the Programs menu.  I have unlinked it from my DropBox account.  I then restarted the laptop.  There is a folder under my name in the USER file labeled DropBox and when I click on that folder it shows all of my folders on DropBox.

What I need clarification on is if I drag that DropBox folder to the trash on my laptop to delete the local contents .... it won't delete the files in DropBox ... correct?

If there is something else that I need to do to safeguard my info before recycling this laptop, please let me know.

Thank you for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cleaning DropBox off an old laptop need clarification

Elixir
Super User

Hi @zkgustin, you are right once you have unlinked your device, if you delete the content of the local Dropbox folder, it should not affect your content in the cloud. Just one more safeguard, you go to https://www.dropbox.com/account/security then scroll down to the Devices section, and remove the laptop that you are no longer plan to use. 

Another side note, if you are going to give the laptop to someone, you may prefer to clear the data from your trash as well if you have some sensitive data (even better, you securely erase your whole hard disc, and reinstall OS if possible). 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Elixir
Super User

Hi @zkgustin, you are right once you have unlinked your device, if you delete the content of the local Dropbox folder, it should not affect your content in the cloud. Just one more safeguard, you go to https://www.dropbox.com/account/security then scroll down to the Devices section, and remove the laptop that you are no longer plan to use. 

Another side note, if you are going to give the laptop to someone, you may prefer to clear the data from your trash as well if you have some sensitive data (even better, you securely erase your whole hard disc, and reinstall OS if possible). 

View solution in original post

zkgustin
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for this information!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

zkgustin Explorer | Level 4
    Elixir Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?