cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearing Out Space

Highlighted

Clearing Out Space

Explorer | Level 3

Good morning. I haven't been here in more then 14 years. Back then in 2006, we didn't have a desktop app and or program for Windows XP users. Right now, I'm on a Windows 10 PC. I have to use a peace of screen reading software that's called JAWS. The reason I use this software, is because I'm blind, I can't see to read my screen. I tried using the new desktop app, but I didn't expect it to upload everything I have on my computer up to my Drop Box storage space on the web site. So if you all don't mind, could you all please give me some instructions on how to clear out my storage space so that I can use it for something elce? Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Clearing Out Space

Dropboxer

Hey there @JP1972, I hope you're well today!

From what you've mentioned it seems that the computer backup feature was enabled for the desktop app.

I'm not familiar with the JAWS software, but can you try these steps and let me know if you have any trouble with this:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (near the time display in the bottom right corner of your screen).
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the pop up window from the Dropbox icon.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Backup" tab from along the top of the pop up window.
  5. From the first option listed, click the "Manage backup" option (slightly to the right).
  6. Deselect the folders you want to stop backing up, or toggle all to "off".
  7. Click the option "Stop anyway".
  8. Click "Save".

Once you've disabled this option, the files that were backed up will be within a folder named "My PC (device xyz) within your Dropbox folder. You can move the content of this folder back to the original locations on your computer.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Good morning Daphne! Before I tell you what's going on here, I would like to give you some information about what JAWS is. Yesterday, I told you that I am a blind man. Jaws is made by Freedom Scientific. What the letters JAWS stands for, is job excess with speech. What it does, is takes the text that pops upon your screen, and converts it in to speech. You don't need very much of hardware, just a laptop or desktop computer and a sound card, and a pare of computer speakers and or headphones in order to use JAWS. However, it's only avillable for and only works on Windows. Now to what's going on here. I uninstalled the Desktop app. I did that because, it was making my computer run kind of sluggish. Is there away to clear out my storage space without reinstalling the Desktop app?
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @JP1972; how are you today?

I wanted to follow up on this one as my colleague @Daphne is out of the office at the moment; I hope you don't mind. 

From what I gather from your last response, you didn't disable the computer backup feature before uninstalling the desktop app from your computer. 

In this case, you'll need to re-install the app and disable the feature following the steps from the relevant Help Center article

Once this is done and you're back to normal, you can make up space on your account by moving any files you don't need to sync outside your Dropbox folder. 

Let us know if this does the trick for you and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Desktop Not That Asscessable

Explorer | Level 3
Good morning. I'm addressing this message to Walter. I redownloaded and reinstalled the Desktop app. But however, I'm still having problems with it. I tried to do everything that you and your coworker told me to do. But because of the fact that I have to use a text to speech software, I can't get to the arria that the two of you directed me to. I guess it's a visual thing and I can't see it. Remember that I told you that I'm a blind man? That is the issue here. But I incountered one other problem. I tried to send: http://www.tubedepot.com the manual for my Mcintosh MQ-107 equalizer. But I'm not sure if they got it or not. I'm looking for replacement capacitors for it to make it sound the way it is suppose to. I just want to be sure that they got it. So could you all please give me tips on how to do this the correct way in sending someone a file via an email link? Thanks in advance!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?