cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearing the data from a Dropbox folder on the hard drive

Clearing the data from a Dropbox folder on the hard drive

New member | Level 2

Hello all,

I was hoping someone could help me. I'll sart off by saying I don't know anything about Dropbox. 

My girlfriend was complaining about not being able to use the computer cause it has run out of memory. She uses her PC for work, and they use Dropbox.

I found out that all the space on the C drive had been used up by a dropbox folder that I understand was connected to her main work dropbox. It must have downloaded the whole folder locally or something. As far as I can tell, turning the smart Sync to 'online only' should stop this, however, there is still no space on the C drive, making all other applications unusable. I am paranoid about just deleting the whole folder, in case it links up with the main work one and deletes everything, as its a large folder of about 200gb.

Could anyone offer me any advice?

1 Reply 1

Re: Clearing the data from a dropbox folder on the hard drive

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@eatcress wrote:
... I am paranoid about just deleting the whole folder, in case it links up with the main work one and deletes everything, as its a large folder of about 200gb.

Hi @eatcress,

No, you are not paranoid, but pragmatic! :slightly smiling face: If you delete something, deletion will gets forworded to the account and next to every other connected device, cause Dropbox is a sync service and every change in monitored space gets in sync, including deletion. :winking face: Your decision to hold on is the right one.

@eatcress wrote:

Could anyone offer me any advice?

If your girlfriend need only part of the entire Folder tree, only needed part could be left locally using "Selective Sync". In such a way only selected folders there will reside locally, all others will be removed automatically from the hard drive without delete out of the account.

Hope this helps.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?