cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine Folders that have duplicate files.

Combine Folders that have duplicate files.

tcoffey
New member | Level 2

I need to combine one folder on my DB with another folder on my DB. I assumed I would just drag all the files from one to the other then delete the empty folder once complete. My first question is, how does DB handle duplicate files? Will it pop up and ask me which one to keep or will it rename one or will it combine the two somehow? 

4 Replies 4

Re: Combine Folders that have duplicate files.

Mark
Super User II

If this is on a computer it isnt Dropbox that is doing the move its the OS - so it will handle them the same way as all other moves 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

tcoffey
New member | Level 2

This is in Dropbox, not on my computer. 

Allan-1960
New member | Level 2

So what is the answer if you are merging both directories on the web in Dropbox and not locally? When I tried this it produced conflicted files? If so, how do I easily and quickly remove the conflicted files on the web interface?  How do I merge without creating confliced files?

Mark
Super User II

Conflicted files mean that they are two different versions of the documents - one locally and one in Dropbox. It occurs when either one device isnt syncing or its been open at two locations without syncing/updates happening. There is no automated way to remove conflicted copies because they are important - they both contain different sets of data. Its not Dropbox's job to work out which is 'right' and which isnt.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Allan-1960 New member | Level 2
    tcoffey New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?