cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments in MS Word messed up

Highlighted

Comments in MS Word messed up

Explorer | Level 3

I am working on an MS Word document saved to my Dropbox, and I add comments to it. I do not share this document with anyone. When I save and open the document from my Dropbox folder some comments are messed up. A string of comments are missing and are replaced with one comment split through multiple comment bubbles. When I open the document from my profile on Dropbox.com everything looks fine as long as I open it online. When I download it it looks the same as the one opened from my Dropbox folder. Please help me understand the problem and solve it. 

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Comments in MS Word messed up

Dropboxer

Hi @CMilan, thanks for posting on the Community!

Are you referring to comments posted in the Dropbox interface, which would only be visible on the site and app, or are you referring to comments in the Word doc itself when added by the Microsoft app?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay, thanks for the reply. I am referring to the comments in Word document. I tried several times to add comments, but the problem repeated. I realised the problem was with comments added to the equations (symbols within the equation) in the document. When I removed these comments everything was just fine. I use comments very often, and this is the first time I came across this problem. Could it be due to recent changes made to Dropbox? Or, what was the problem in my case?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Have you previously been able to add comments with symbols in them without issue?

Are you adding the comments using Office Online via the Dropbox site, or when opening the document from your computer?

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am sorry for late reply. I believe we are in different time zones. I am using comments in Word very often in different documents. I checked one more document with comments in MS Equations and comments with symbols in them, and there are no problems. 

I work with the documents on my PC and almost never edit documents online. The problem I reported was with the document on my PC in Dropbox folder.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

If the file appears normal when viewing it on the Dropbox site, and then doesn't appear normal on your machine, does this occur when you move the file out of the Dropbox folder?

Could you try exiting the Dropbox desktop application to see if this makes any difference when viewing the file on the Dropbox folder?

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

When I noticed the problem, I tried to save the document from Dropbox site on my desktop, but the problem persisted. Now, I also tried to exit Dropbox app, but the same happened when I added comment to the equation in the same document. 

It was frustrating that I could not add comments the way I wanted, but I managed to do what I want differently. It was also puzzling that the document looks fine on Dropbox site. You do not have to continue dealing with this matter, but if you want to explore it I will continue answering your question. Thanks for your willingness to help.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

From what you've described, it sounds like this is unrelated to Dropbox, since the files appear normally on the site, and it persists when the Dropbox app is closed.

I'll leave this thread open to see if other users have experienced the same issue so they can provide their input.

Jay

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I just had this exact same problem. I am using MS Word, added lots of comments; saving the document in a Synced folder. When I look at the version online, using Online Word, the comments are correct. When I download that file to my PC and open it in MS Word on my hard drive, the comments are truly mucked up. My client is complaining, the document is useless, and I have never had this problem before. I use comments on documents daily and this is the first time I have seen this issue.

I have worked back through versions, and so far, I'm going back hours and can't find a "good" version where the comments aren't messed up.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am still not completelly sure what was the problem. The only thing I could imagine was the cause of the problem are MS equations - messed up where the comments beginning with the one containing MS equation. I am also not sure if the problem was with the MS Word or Dropbox. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?