cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Computer Backup for OSX / invisible & alias / documents downloads desktop

Highlighted

Computer Backup for OSX / invisible & alias / documents downloads desktop

New member | Level 2

I'm using OSX 10.15.7 with the latest version of Dropbox. I activated the new feature "Backups" to backup my desktop, downloads and ducuments folder. What it did was create an alias for each of these folders in my OSX user folder and moved the actual folders into my Dropbox and made them invisible. It all seems to be working fine. BUT, I'm wondering why did it make those folders invisible? I find it slightly unsettling that these folders are hidden like that. Is this how it's supposed to work?

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

pls see this page

your desktop/documents/downloads are no longer on your pc, but in the dropbox cloud.. 

seriously consider what you've done.. and make a backup to a usb drive or something before you loose everything.

Highlighted

Super User II

@Schui1024 wrote:

your desktop/documents/downloads are no longer on your pc, but in the dropbox cloud..

That's not an accurate statement.

The Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders are not removed from your PC. They're moved to the Dropbox folder located on your computer. The Dropbox folder is not a cloud-based folder where the content only exists in the cloud. It's a folder on your local drive, just like any other folder.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

Whilst that is technically true (the dropbox folder is on the local computer and sync'd up) why have so many people lost data when using the backup feature?

I'm please you used the word Moved.. as it isn't really a backup. The data is relocated to the dropbox location and syncd.
Sadly many people have lost data to this feature that isn't technically a backup..

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?