cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer backup ... alias not localized

Computer backup ... alias not localized

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 5

Recently, I began using Dropbox's computer backup feature.  I am using an iMac with a French Canadian Mac OS 10.15.7.

I choose to backup the Documents and the Desktop folder.  Doing that, Dropbox automatically creates alias folders at the original location and moves the original folders to the Dropbox folder.

Dropbox did not localized the aliases.  Documents in French is the same as in English, but for the Desktop folder it did not rename it Bureau as the original localized folder and the alias folder cannot be renamed.

Is this a bug or is there something that can be done ? 

7 Replies 7

Re: Computer backup ... alias not localized

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @rlesperance, thanks for reaching out to our Community today!

Did the 'desktop' folder stay as 'desktop'?

How about the rest of your Dropbox? Is the language set to French in your preferences?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Hannah,

Yes, the Desktop folder is actually an alias of the original Desktop folder, now place by Dropbox in the Dropbox folder.

When the computer backup feature is activated, the Dropbox desktop app does not seem to be available.  Double clicking on the icon does not lauch the app.  I went Dropbox's menu bar item and the preferences are set the language of the system, which is French.

Thanks for helping.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Would you mind clarifying this a bit, please?

Are you clicking on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and the Dropbox application is not opening?

And can you also send me some screenshots that would explain the backup issue?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 5

If I click on the Dropbox app icon, nothing launches and the Finder comes upfront.  

The only way to get to Dropbox's preferences is from within Dropbox's menu bar item.

I don't have any issue with my computer's backup.  If you read my post again, I am asking why the aliases created by Dropbox when initiating my computer's backup are not localized.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey there, happy Monday!

Can I actually reach out to you via email, so we can look into this more closely?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 5

Over the phone would better help.  IIf not possible, I prefer to continue using these messages rather than email.

If you cannot help, can you please escalate my case.

Thank you. 

Hannah
Dropboxer
I'm afraid we cannot call you. If you want, I can reach out via email, so we can investigate further.

Let me know!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    rlesperance Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?