cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer backup started adding folders, except one

Computer backup started adding folders, except one

Deenaf
Explorer | Level 3

Hi. I opened Dropbox account. While drobox was backing up my computer files it erased at least one folder I am aware of. It is neither on my computer nor in dropbox. 

3 Replies 3

Re: Deleted files

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Deenaf, thanks for reaching out to us. 

To make sure that we cover as much initial troubleshooting as possible, could you let me know if you've checked your:

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Deenaf
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, 

I checked my local recycling bin and the deleted files folder, and the local dropbox folder. VERY FRUSTRATING.

Why did Dropbox delete my folder??I lot of work is lost. Dropbox asked me if to back up folders- it's not clear it will transfer everything to the cloud and erase everything from my computer.  That is not stated anywhere. At all. Was it erased because there was an apostrophe in the name of the folder?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Deenaf, the Dropbox desktop application wouldn't delete a folder under there was any request to do so. 

The app would sync the changes to the site and not erase them from the local machine unless you used selective sync. An apostrophe in the folder name wouldn't make a difference.

If the missing folder wasn't syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the site. However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Deenaf Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?