cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure trusted client user-agents: Windows Installer user-agent download blocked by Dropbox

Configure trusted client user-agents: Windows Installer user-agent download blocked by Dropbox

radu-dnl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

Is there any setting in dropbox where I could configure the trusted client user agents?

It seems dropbox web server filters the file download requests depending on the client's user-agent.

For instance if I try to download a dropbox file (configured to be shared with anyone with the link) from a web browser, then the download operation is successfully.

However if I try to download it through the following user agent: Windows Installer , then the download operation is blocked by dropbox web server. This is the error message returned by dropbox:

Error: 5xx 

Error
Something went wrong. Don't worry, your files are still safe and the Dropboxers have been notified. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home. 

If you wonder why do I need to run a file download through "Windows Installer" user agent, then here it is my scenario:

1. on a Windows OS all the MSI installation packages are installed by the OS built-in Windows Installer service

2. Windows Installer service allows you to host an MSI installation package on a web server and install it by simply running the following command line:

msiexec.exe /i <downloadURLtoMSIfile>

So, basically what I was trying to do was to host a Windows Installer MSI file on dropbox and then install it using the above command line.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Daniel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @radu-dnl, thanks for posting today!

Currently, there isn't an option to change the user agent on the Dropbox site.

If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @radu-dnl, thanks for posting today!

Currently, there isn't an option to change the user agent on the Dropbox site.

If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

radu-dnl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Jay!

Daniel

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

radu-dnl New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?