cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflicted copies created when installing dropbox desktop

Conflicted copies created when installing dropbox desktop

BeeN
Explorer | Level 3

When installing Dropbox Desktop, conflicted copies were created in a shared folder. I didn't even open said folder, nor related files. I was working on a separate, unrelated folder. Is this possible? If not, what could have caused it? If it is, how do I avoid that from happening again?

2 Replies 2

Re: Conflicted copies created when installing dropbox desktop

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @BeeN, thanks for reaching out!

Conflicted copies are usually created in shared folders, when different computers are making changes on the same files at the same time.

You can read more about them and how to avoid them here

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Conflicted copies created when installing dropbox desktop

BeeN
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the response

However, this doesn't explain what occurred. Conflicted copies were created in a shared folder I didn't open. I was working on a completely different shared folder with different users. Over 30 conflicted copies were created in an instant, without having a single file open that could potentially create said conflict. The conflicted copies seemed to appear today, after Dropbox desktop synced up my folders. No two users were changing the same file at the same time or editing offline the same file.

I have been reading other user questions and responses from moderators, and apparently automatic folder syncing while someone else is editing anything in the folders results in conflicted files, even if the files were not opened in a separate computer. If this is the case, this is a huge issue. I wanted to make a new thread, since the last thread related to my problem was made back in 2017 and I was wondering if the issue had been resolved 5 years later. 

Nonetheless, thank you for your time 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BeeN Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?