cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing folder icons

Confusing folder icons

Terry P.
Collaborator | Level 10

Most of my folder icons look like this, because the Dropbox 'synced' symbol hides the Microsoft shortcut symbol:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4i2hb8s2hp2aedq/FolderIcons.jpg?raw=1 

The icon therefore appears identical to shortcuts to folders, so when there is a mixture of these it is hard to distinguish them. I first reported this issue some years ago, and I see others have too, but it remains a nuisance that I'd have thought relatively easy to fix.

Perhaps by moving the checkmark so that it doesn't hide the shortcut indicator? Or just give all folder shortcut icons a different colour?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mmgi6zo0qgw8hh/FolderIcons-2.jpg?raw=1 

Or is there another solution I've missed please?

Terry

2 Replies 2

Re: Confusing folder icons

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @Terry P., I hope you're having a good week so far!

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us on the sync icon placement.

We do have a few similar requests for something like this in our dedicated section of the Community, but I think this one might be the closest, if you want to show your support with a vote.

For changing the folder icon, while this isn't something you can change through Dropbox, have you tried using the Windows OS options to do this?

If you're not sure how to do this, you can do a quick web search for the steps for your device's OS version.

I hope this helps, keep me posted with any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Confusing folder icons

Terry P.
Collaborator | Level 10
Thanks but what I’m asking is not close to that post . And I note that’s over three years old.

I was hoping to get a considered response explaining the poor design I described and advising me why you have not yet fixed it.
Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?