cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Connection issue when uploading to Dropbox

anonymous
Not applicable

I have encountered nothing but problems for the last year or so trying to upload videos from my PC to Dropbox. I have read in other posts that trying to upload from the webpage is no longer a good idea..... that I need to install the Dropbox program on my computer and put things in this synced hot folder, etc... and so on. I also see there is a new app, but it's all the same really. This new method confuses me. I don't want things from my computer "synced" to Dropbox. What if my computer crashes..... then what? I want to upload copies of my original files to Dropbox so I can store them there, in the cloud, as backup. I am using Dropbox to protect family photos/videos. I just want a second set of family stuff in the cloud, via uploading....not syncing. Am I missing something here? Why can't i just upload anymore? I've tried incognito mode. Nothing works. All I ever get is the "Unable to upload.... lost connection" error message. 

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Uploading to Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining the Community @anonymous.  Happy Monday!

I want to start with reassuring you that if your files are uploaded to the Dropbox cloud, you shouldn't be worried about their safety. Even if the local Dropbox folder fails to load, for any reason. All your files will remain safe on the Dropbox cloud. 

I understand you downloaded the Dropbox desktop app and your files were syncing from the local Dropbox folder. Is your desktop app giving you this connection error? Or is it the website? If you could add a screenshot of the error with your next response, it would be super helpful. 

The local Dropbox folder can save (sync as we say) unlimited amount of files to the Dropbox cloud. If it does not report to have connection issues..  The website, should also upload successfully, up to 50 GB of files. Read about this here

No worries.  We will help troubleshoot your uploading together.

Looking forward to the screenshot to help you more. Thanks!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Fiona, thanks for the reply. When I log on to Dropbox from my PC and attempt to upload a file directly to the website (not using the app or folder), I get the error message you see in the attached photo. This is a 101mb mp4 file. I read elsewhere I should try incognito mode, which did not work for me. I do have a parental control software installed on this PC that blocks inappropriate content for kids. Could that be the problem? If so, how do I fix that?error.JPGerror.JPG

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot! It could be a problem. You can try the following: 

• Whitelist Dropbox in this security software. 
  • Clear your browser's cache.
  • If the steps above don't help, please restore your browser to its default settings and disable any browser plugins. The issue you're experiencing may be the result of a security setting or a plugin that you have installed on your browser.

Let me know if this fixed the issue. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?