cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistent file paths across team members

Consistent file paths across team members

chrisleathers
Explorer | Level 4

I am working with a remote team and we all have different computer set ups.. But we need a consistent file path for certain files.. to maintain links.. Is there a way to install the dropbox folder so that we all share an identical file path.. even if we install the folder on different drives.. For example if I install the dropbox dolder on the C: drive, and my coworker installes the dropbox folder on the 😧 drive.. we would not have consistent paths for our files.. is there a way that we could over ride those path names, so we can share files via a path name like.. Z:/dropbox/etc....  

7 Replies 7

Re: Consistent file paths across team members

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @chrisleathers; thanks for using Dropbox and posting on our Community!

Can you please clarify if you're all part of the same Dropbox for Business teams account or if you're all working on personal accounts and shared folders?

Also, what types of files are you referring to and on what programs are you going to be using those paths? 

Any additional information is more than welcome, Chris. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

chrisleathers
Explorer | Level 4

We are using 3D programs such as blender and maya.. The paths to find texture files and cache files needs to remain constant.. all the way back to the drive letter ideally.. We would all be on the same team account.. Right now only a few of us use drop box, and only for personal work.. We would want to still have our personal accounts and keep those separate.. Does that help.. 

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @chrisleathers, this technically wouldn't be possible, since even if you move the Dropbox folder to the C: drive, any shared folders in the account could be renamed by other people. 

Additionally, if users are across different OSes, then it would be even less likely, since Windows and Mac devices labels drives differently.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

chrisleathers
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks.. I am not worried about people changing names.. becauyse tahts human error butId love to find a way to set it up right, technically..  I found this.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJcw76EMBeY&feature=youtu.be

Would be great if drop box had an official way to do this consistently across mac and windows.. Could be a really powerful feature for a certain set of users.. Wol dove to hear if anyone else has ideas for a solution.. 🙂 Thanks. !!

This short video shows you how to map your dropbox folder with a drive letter on your pc so that you can easily access the folder from your pc.

chrisleathers
Explorer | Level 4

For instance we were looking anien Brain as a version control software.. and it descibes how they map the folder you choose, to keep your files in .. as the Z drive.. so everyone using the database.. has consistent path names starting with Z:

Jay
Dropboxer
While there currently isn't a feature like this, if you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

chrisleathers
Explorer | Level 4

Sure.. I will do that thanks.. But I am sure there is a stable hack that someone can suggest.. Just hoping they read this in near future and can help me out!! Thanks.. 

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?