Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Constantly syncing. File previews don't load and opening folders is very slow.

Explorer | Level 3

I haven't changed anything on my system, or dropbox settings in a very long time. A couple weeks ago, I noticed that my dropbox folder is not loading properly, wherein I'll get the file title but the preview image doesn't exist. It also takes a very long time to open folders.

At the same time, I see that it's constantly trying to sync. (it always seems to say "syncing 7,000+ files 2+ days". When it ends, it just starts again). This has also affected the ability to sync new files across devices, which is impacting productivity.

Please help!

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Constantly syncing. File previews don't load and opening folders is very slow.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for sharing this issue with the Community @brytewolf

Sounds like we need to troubleshoot as soon as possible. Just for me to have a better understanding of the issue please provide me with the info below: 

1. I would like to see how your files previews are showing at the time. Please add a screenshot in your next response. 
  2. Please check if you are on a Beta version of the Dropbox desktop application. 
  3. Is the device slow in general? Are you running any other cloud services at the same time?
  4. How many files do you have in your local Dropbox folder. Are you using selective sync or Smart Sync

First step is to try reinstalling. 

Let me know how this goes! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Re: Constantly syncing. File previews don't load and opening folders is very slow.

Explorer | Level 3

Sorry for the delay, I've reinstalled Dropbox and that's the reason I haven't responded.

Firstly, here's a screenshot of the file previews to show you what that looks like:

File PreviewsThis is folders, but it does the same for image files etc. I'll usually get a flash of the image type before the image preview actually loads.

2) I am not on a beta version! I just download the available regular version from the website.

3) I would say, yes, it's slow in general. I am not running any other cloud services.

4) In my local dropbox folder on this computer, there are about 7,000 Files. I generally use selective sync, as I don't have enough HD space to put all 9k files on this computer.

I reinstalled Dropbox 2 days ago, after receiving your reply. To date, it has only gotten about ~halfway~ through syncing my files, with over 4k left to sync. I still have the slow file preview issue, and of course the not syncing properly issue. Currently it's on just default smart sync, which certainly hasn't helped the issue at all. I was planning on switching it to selective sync once again (after it finished the initial sync), but...since it hasn't finished, I haven't switched it yet.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the updates @brytewolf

You can apply the selective sync settings while it is . You can use Smart Sync and selective sync at the same time. 

Now, let's also adjust your bandwidth settings for it to sync faster. 

👣 How to improve your sync speed. 

Tip: You can remove the sleep mode 💤 from your computers settings to make sure there will be no interruptions to your syncing. 

Let me know if this was helpful. 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Fiona,

After the syncing finished from the reinstall, it seemed happier. At least for a few days. It's back to syncing everything again and not updating with new files.

I've switched it to "no limit" for both upload and download syncing, and it hasn't helped either.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that the issue is ongoing @brytewolf 

I would like to check device related details if that is OK with you. 

I've emailed you to troubleshoot with more information. I used the email address associated with your Community profile. 

Get back to me there with the name of the device facing the issue. You can see a list of connected computers on your Security page here.

Thank you! 

Fiona

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Fiona,

I have not received an email! I did get the notification that this reply happened, so the email on file should be correct.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for letting me know you did not receive the email. 

Please check the spam folder of your email. I also emailed you again, let me know if the second email went through. 

Thank you @brytewolf!

Fiona

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?