cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly syncing

Constantly syncing

WATU
Explorer | Level 3

Hi  I recently had a full reinstall of my system.  Since then Dropbox has been syncing constantly.  220 files upload, 4596 download.  The numbers change slightly as I use a file but in over a week they have not really changed.  Within my folder/file structure in Dropbox I can see which ones have the sync icon.  As far as the system allows me I have selected Smartsync and Online only.  However the files that have the syncing icon will not let me set that.  I want to use Dropbox as a cloud storage service and just access files as required from my PC, tablet and phone.  I do not want the files stored anywhere apart from Dropbox.  So I don't really see what it is with syncing with as the files should only be in one place.  

The Dropbox icon on the bottom right bar says it is 153MB that is syncing and I have decent broadband width which is working fine.  

7 Replies 7

Re: Constantly syncing

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @WATU, thanks for joining the Dropbox Community!

Indeed, you cannot apply Smart sync settings on files that are currently in syncing process (blue icon). Syncing of each separate file needs to finish, before you can use Smart sync to make it online-only.

Is your syncing currently completely stuck or just moving very slowly? If it's stuck, can you please check out this article, to see if it has any helpful info?

Thanks and let me know if you have more questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

WATU
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah.  No change.  I had tried some of the solutions and have just done things like turning Norton 360 off.  The upload number has increased a bit over the week but has stuck at 220 for a while.  The download is static at 4597 files.  I cannot see any error messages.  To me it looks like it is OK except that it is stuck.  

Hannah
Dropboxer
I see, thanks for the additional info @WATU.

You can also try the steps in this thread to fix the hardlinks and permissions on your Dropbox application. That should do it!

Let me know how it goes!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

WATU
Explorer | Level 3

I could do the procedure easily enough but no effect sadly.  The upload has increased to 237 and download to 4608 presumably linked to the files I am actually using.

Hannah
Dropboxer
I see. Thanks for updating me on this. 

Would you like me to contact you via email, so we can look into this a bit more? 

Let me know!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

WATU
Explorer | Level 3
Yes please.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Perfect, I just reached out to you, so make sure to look for my email!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    WATU Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?