cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control access at the file or folder level -- dropbox syncing all or nothing

Control access at the file or folder level -- dropbox syncing all or nothing

cindy t.3
Helpful | Level 5

I've been using Dropbox for years to manage files between two computers and the cloud. My laptop just died so had to start over with dropbox on a new computer. Now it is almost impossible to manage syncing -- it's all or nothing at various levels. If I only want one file in a folder stored locally, often (but not always), changing the status of that file will cause dropbox to upload and store EVERY file in that folder locally. The same is true if at the folder level (set one folder to save locally, but all of them upload). And, of course, the reverse is also true -- if  try to move just one file or folder into the cloud, everything moves.

I have a few hundred thousand files in my Dropbox, so this is a BIG problem. 

Is there some secret setting that is causing it to apply syncing to a group of files and folders instead of just the selected file or folder?

I am now running dropbox off an external drive (inadequate space on the new computer), but I was starting to run into this once in awhile on my old computer (where dropbox was on the internal drive) as well, so don't think the external drive is the problem.

4 Replies 4

Re: Control access at the file or folder level -- dropbox syncing all or nothing

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @cindy t.3, thanks for posting and happy Friday!

Can you please hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar, and take a screenshot of the current syncing status and version of Dropbox that you have installed on your computer?

Let me know what you find!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Control access at the file or folder level -- dropbox syncing all or nothing

cindy t.3
Helpful | Level 5

I have no idea what you are talking about. I can't find anything that has the Dropbox version on it.

Dropbox was just loaded on this computer shortly before my initial note.

It's still doing the same thing. I can change one file or folder, but if I try to change whether more than one file from local to the cloud or the reverse, it starts changing all of them.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @cindy t.3, do you see the Dropbox icon, as mentioned by my colleague, using the steps in that article?

Are you using Smart Sync on your machine? Do you keep your files online-only, or local?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cindy t.3
Helpful | Level 5

Now this is doing the same thing on both my computers. I changed one file from local on cloud and it changed not only every other file in that subfolder, but every other file in ever other folder in that subfolder. NOT HELPFUL.

The number on my main computer is 122.4.4867 

I don' t know what it is on the laptop, but it was a fresh download so it had better have been the most up-to-date version of Dropbox.

Seriously, as much as I love Dropbox when it works, I'm about ready to look for an alternative. I can't have all my files either moving onto my box or off into the cloud any time I try to change the status of a file.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cindy t.3 Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropboxer
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?