cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Copied files from old computer but no Dropbox files.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Copied files from old computer to new but now no Dropbox files. Still exist on wife's computer and on my old computer. What gives?

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Copied files from old computer but no Dropbox files.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Bruce10 - how are you today?

At first, could you clarify how exactly are you copying these files and what's your desktop app reporting at the moment on the affected computer (if you're using it to begin with that is)? 

Do you see any of those files on our website at dropbox.com

For more information on moving files from one computer to another, please have a look at the following Help Center article: 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/move-to-new-computer

Let me know how it goes Bruce!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I copied all the files using Migration Assistant.

When I log into dropbox.com there is only the file "Bruce" with no files.

I did locate on the finder a folder calleld Dropbox (old) that seems to hold the files I need. I shall try dragging them into the empty folder.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Only dragging files works. I'm unable to successfully drag folders, which is a real pain. Only able to create a brand new folder in dropbox. Open it. Go to Dropbox (Old). Open folder. Drag files. Any subfolders don't copy.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

On my iPhone and my wife's MacBook when I open Dropbox it shows the files and folders. On mine it shows a folder called "Bruce" which is not a folder that appears anywhere else. "Bruce" is empty with no files. It's as if I got "Bruce" instead of my Dropbox account.

Any help?
Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 2.45.39 PM.png 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

As I'm not seeing any syncing icons your files (this looks like an old Dropbox Folder - perhaps from a previous installation), I'll have to ask at this point Bruce: are you running the destkop app at all? 

If so, could you forward me its exact status as shown on the affected computer? To do this, please take a look at the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu. If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the exact message being displayed reads?

Have you by any chance tried to re-install our app to see if this helps correct the issue at hand? 

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?