cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Copy 1.1TB of data to external hard drive

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I need to copy 1.1TB, 265K files, to an external hard drive.  The data is for a client, outside of our team and their IT department will not allow dropbox links or accounts on their network.  I also only have a 1TB SSD that dropbox selective sync is set to so I only sync required data.

Current best option is to sync parts of the project and copy paste from explorer to external HD.  Then unsync that folder and sync the next section until full project is copied.

Is there an easier way to download/export this much data from Dropbox?

Thanks

Dave

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Copy 1.1TB of data to external hard drive

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Dave61, thanks for checking in with us. 

In general, if the folder is selectively synced and you have the equivalent hard drive space available, you can sync it as is and, once downloaded, copy-paste it to the other location. 

However, since you mention that it's a lot of content that's also quite large, you might find it easier to sync them in batches, instead. 

If you don't have the hard drive space available to sync everything to your Dropbox folder, you may have to do what you describe. In other words:

1. Choose some subfolders to sync from your selective sync settings. 
  2. Once downloaded, copy-paste them to the external hard drive. 
  3. Selectively sync the items. 
  4. Sync the next batch to your Dropbox folder. 

I hope this helps to some extent, but let me know how you get on!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?