cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 'Copy Dropbox link' issue

'Copy Dropbox link' issue

Rexxyboy
Helpful | Level 5

I recently moved my DB folder to a new drive and re-installed a new version of Dropbox. I had quite a few issues with re-syncing as it took HOURS to index contents and even started re-downloading GIGABYTES of files, even thos nothing had changed and i always use local files (not cloud/online files).

Anyway, since updating to the latest version on Windows 10, the right click 'Copy Dropbox link' feature is there, but now only copies the link once the file is uploaded to dropbox. Can someone please confirm this is actually a new feature or a bug?

It's always been handy to have the link available immediately as i post these on a google doc for the rest of the team, but now i can't get the link until the upload has been completed.

Thanks! (using the paid version of Dropbox).

34 Replies 34

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Rexxyboy, thanks for joining our Community!

It would definitely be expected behavior to have the 'copy link' option available after the file has synced to your Dropbox.

If anything, it helps avoid 404 errors for the recipients of the links.

You can, however, post about this in our idea board and request for it to be added as a feature.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rexxyboy
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Hannah. While that does make sense, it was great to still be able to get the link and share it on a team google doc straight away.  I might roll back to an earlier dropbox build to get this feature back.

It's just handy because if it takes 20 minutes for a big file to upload, i need to make sure i circle back and get the link later, rather than immediately, which slows down my workflow, speshly when working with quite a few files, i didn't think the feature needed to be removed as dropbox already handled the 404 type error by telling user the file was still uploading.

Thanks for the reply!

Rexx.

mgambrell
Helpful | Level 6

Email support told me they removed this feature. I don't think rolling back the client will work, because it seems to me like they disabled it on the server side. Note that we don't get any kind of error or notification that the file needs to be uploaded before we can get a link. It just silently fails. I could be wrong about this, and I hope I am, but rolling back might be a time-limited fix. We need to make more noise about it so they know they disabled a valuable feature.

ratalaika
New member | Level 2

I miss this feature a lot, Ive to share giant files sometimes and it's very annoying to wait for hours before been able to just email or paste a link to someone that you know will check it later on.... Before I could just drop the file, copy-paste link and move on to next task >.>

Using paid dropbox version too

terra1983
Helpful | Level 7

I submitted a post about this very same issue yesterday.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Please-don-t-block-me-from-generating-a-link-for-a-fil...

(though it seems to have been deleted/hidden from the main feed)

"@Hannah - It would definitely be expected behavior to have the 'copy link' option available after the file has synced to your Dropbox.
If anything, it helps avoid 404 errors for the recipients of the links."

I kinda disagree that it would definitely be expected behavior. I've explained why in my post above. But to summarize: this new 'feature' is catering to the dumber population of DB users, while crippling for the power users. By forcing users to come back to dropbox to copy the link whenever the link has finished uploading is adding an unnecessary step. It's crippling to those who rely on a fast workflow.

Please Dropbox, don't dumb this down 😞

terra1983
Helpful | Level 7

Also, "If anything, it helps avoid 404 errors for the recipients of the links."

If I remember correctly, the "404" page you say was actually a page that said "Uh oh! File hasn't finished uploading yet" or something.

Isn't this a perfectly valid solution for those who are sharing links too early? It's really clean and simple, and communicates to the recipient that the file is simply still uploading.  It's not even an "error" and I think it's wrong to treat it as such, and for this functionality to be restricted for that reason. 

The ability to generate the link immediately, while also having an "File Still Uploading...." page, to me seems like a perfectly happy medium that keeps everyone happy. The new restriction is heavy handed and one sided.

Whoever else is facing this same issue, please let yourselves be heard or upvote this page.

mgambrell
Helpful | Level 6

There's no genuine concern about confused users giving links too early. There are no confused users at all; the "still uploading" page has always been there clearly explaining the situation. There's no negotiation and there's no compromise. This isn't even a thing. Dropbox support people haven't ever used this feature and don't even get the point. They're just trying to placate us with some ill-informed fluff. The email support person I contacted gave me the same ill-informed fluff til they checked with someone higher-up after I told them they had a feature they didn't know about.

It's wrong to describe it as a "restriction". It's not like it would naturally work and then they decided to restrict it to be "helpful". It was a specially-programmed feature (an amazing and useful one) for early-links to work in the first place, and I suspect the feature got too hard to continue supporting so it was yanked (or else is temporarily disabled for some reason).

jakeviator
Helpful | Level 6

Same here. This is an absolute productivity killer for me. I'm often uploading large audio files and sending in an email to clients in countries that are still sleeping. Now I have to wait minutes/hours in order to send the e-mail. I can't go to bed, I can't move on to other projects, I have to sit and watch the upload now.

It WAS a BRILLIANT feature. The placeholder page was PERFECT. Make the client wait for the file to upload, NOT ME, DROPBOX'S CUSTOMER.

Why would they remove this feature? What goal does it accomplish? How does this make the product better?

Can't get a straight answer from ANYONE. The fact that they killed this feature is an absolute disgrace. And the absolute know-nothings in tech support are telling me I've made up the functionality and that it never existed. What a joke.

I want this feature back. There's seemingly no reason to get rid of it. To somehow save on the cost of showing a placeholder page?!? WHY?! YOU ARE LITERALLY RUINING TIME I COULD BE SPENDING WITH MY FAMILY.

mgambrell
Helpful | Level 6

You know, as a workaround, you can organize files so clients each have their own folder and share that out. Then make sure to name your files after the date you created them so there's mistaking (LOL! there will always be mistaking) by the client as to which file in the folder to download. It's annoying but for the cases where it's actually life-ruining, it's an okay backup plan.

Need more support?